Chapter fifty eight - Fandral and Volstagg

You clung to Loki's arm as the Bifrost engulfed you and you began your ascent to Asgard. Above you, Thor was glaring down past you and Loki; you followed his gaze to see Hela beneath you and catching up fast.

Let go. Do not let her see you.

Trying to ignore the terror which was rising in your throat you let go of Loki's arm and watched as he procured two daggers from thin air and launched them downwards at Hela. She stalled for a moment as she deflected them; you felt the briefest flicker of hope.

It didn't last for long. You reached out to grab Loki again, but before you could grip his arm properly Hela launched herself upwards towards him with a yell. Before you could so much as blink Loki was knocked sideways out of the Bifrost.

"No!" you screamed, hearing Thor bellow Loki's name above you. Hela was looking around in confusion for the source of your scream, but then saw Thor above her and seemed to forget about it. She projected a jet-black grappling hook up towards Thor and grabbed hold of him, pulling him towards her. Your heart was hammering in your chest; you had to do something.

Torn between wanting to help and terror at the sight of two gods fighting above you, you had barely summoned your magic before Thor kicked out at Hela with both feet and dislodged himself from her grasp. The momentum of his kick was too much though, and he too crashed through the side of the Bifrost. You barely managed to bite a second scream back, freezing as Hela cast her gaze downwards. She still hadn't yet seen you.

Suddenly you landed hard on all fours in the Observatory, Hela landing on her feet a few paces ahead of you. You scrambled to your feet silently, blanching in terror when you saw Volstagg holding the Bifrost sword, Fandral behind him. They appeared to be overseeing Skurge who was mopping up dragon guts off of the floor. They both drew their weapons as they saw Hela.

Fandral, Volstagg, it's me. You have to run-

"Who are you? What have you done with Thor?" Volstagg asked boldly. Fandral was frowning over Hela's shoulder, looking for you. The pure terror you were feeling was a physical weight in your chest, pushing on your heart and lungs painfully.

Quick as lightning, Hela launched a black dagger at Volstagg, which tore through his armour and buried itself in his stomach. Fandral raised his sword, but before he'd even taken two steps forward there was a dagger through his chest too.

"No-" you choked silently on the word, stepping forward. The magic you had summoned died at your hands. You would never be able to beat her.

"I'm Hela." Hela stated, sounding bored. With a casual flick of her wrists she impaled Fandral and Volstagg with two more daggers; they both dropped to the ground like stones.

Your knees gave out; you had to press a hand to your mouth to stop the sob which rose in your throat.

Hela was walking towards Skurge, who was cowering before her. Your brain was telling you to go and help him, but your body remained frozen on the floor.

"I'm just a janitor." Skurge said, his voice shaking as he peered up at Hela.

"You look like a smart boy with survival instincts. How would you like a job?" Hela asked Skurge.

You watched as Hela looked out over your home and then started walking down the rainbow bridge towards Asgard, Skurge in tow. After a few seconds you slowly turned your gaze back to Volstagg and Fandral; your eyes burning. Your heart leapt suddenly as you saw Fandral's hand move ever so slightly; his eyes were still open.

Illusion forgotten, you threw yourself forward across the floor towards him, repeating his name over and over as you placed your hands on his chest; using your magic to numb the pain for him. Ever so gently you moved his head so that it was resting in your lap; his eyes never left your face. He opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out, just a distorted gargling noise.