Therapist Office

Sometimes things just happen and you can't get passed them. It sucks but it's true. I'm sorry.

***********************************

"We are here today to save a relationship," Dr. Wen said.

Save a relationship? There was no way of saving the relationship, Carter knew this. What happened...they couldn't come back from. Carter didn't even look at the therapist. She stared at the rows of books, wanting to tear them all from their shelves. She wanted to race out of the office and never come back.

"I know you might think this is difficult," Dr. Wen went on.

Carter almost snorted. This therapist didn't know the half of it. Difficult didn't even begin to describe the situation. She couldn't even look at him. The entire width of the couch separated them and still it wasn't enough distance. She felt herself shudder thinking about it all.

"But if you are willing to work together, I believe that we can realize that the situation is not as damaging as you believe. Are you willing to do that?" Dr. Wen asked.

Neither of them answered. The silence stretched on until Dr. Wen looked like she might be the one who wanted to leave the room. Carter would gladly welcome her departure. It would mean she could get away and try to move on.

Dr. Wen sighed. "I know it's tough. But remember that you two aren't the only ones who will be affected if you don't find some way to reconcile."

Carter hated her for having a point. There were so many people in their lives who would be hurt by the separation. Link popped into Carter's mind, his face crumpled with sadness.

"Even though I read the file, why don't you walk me through what happened," Dr. Wen said, determinedly trying to fill the quiet. "That way we can pinpoint moments that have caused this tension."

Moments? There was only one moment. They both knew what it was. Carter could see it clearly and wished she could erase it from her memory. Or at least have this entire thing over with.

"Carter," Dr. Wen said. "Why don't you start?"

Carter hated this woman. She hated all therapists. Hated how they tried to pry open her thoughts. The only therapist she liked was Eleanor but that's because she was Donovan's mother and she had to like her. But now...

"Fine," Carter said, figuring this would at least mean they could move on more quickly. "It was a standard operation. We had the warrant and planned to plant the bugs unnoticed, which meant we needed a cover." She swallowed, picturing the IT uniforms and the tall glass building. "It had to be us because well..."

Carter paused, thinking back on that day, wishing she'd fought to be on a different operation. But knew it would have been pointless, they worked well together after all. Well, they did until this point, now...

"It had to be us," Carter said, "because I'm the only one who can work with Mason."

Beside her, Mason scoffed, arms folded.

"Of course, blame this one me," he muttered.

Carter glared at him. "You were the tech guy, you were the one who had to do the bug installation, of course, it had to be you. And it had to be me because no one will work with you."

Mason snapped his head towards her.

"Rich coming from the girl who bounced between teams because they couldn't handle you."

Carter jabbed a finger at him but before she could spit out a retort, Dr. Wen stopped them.

"Let's focus. Remember we're doing this because a relationship is at stake. Not just the two of you, but Carter, you with Donovan. Mason, you with Yvette. Now, Mason why don't you continue to tell me what happened."