Chapter 5

Asami POV

We arrived at the hospital shortly after Korra slipped out again. The drive took about forty minutes, but this hospital was halfway between the embassy and the university. Opal pulled the car up next to Korra's parents car. Everyone got out of the cars and we all walked into the emergency room, as I carried Korra. Her parent went up to the reception desk and started talking with the nurses. I sat down in a chair while still holding Korra. I let her rest in my lap, with her head leaning on my shoulder and her face in the crook of my neck. I didn't realize she had stirred awake until I jumped a tad at the sound of her voice.

"You smell nice," she murmured into my neck, just loud enough for me to hear, causing my face to heat up. I placed a light kiss on the top of her head to make her feel comfortable. I knew I was probably covered in blood and it was probably quite a sight but I didn't really care at that moment. All I cared about was making sure Korra was alright.

Tonraq waved me over to them and explained they were bringing out a bed to lay Korra on and that him, Senna, and I were going to be the only ones allowed in with Korra. This was due to the fact they knew Korra's medical history and I knew what had happened at our apartment. I turned to talk with Opal and Jinora, but they must have known what I was going to say.

"We're not going back to the apartment. Korra is our friend too, and we can't leave her... or you. We know you Asami, you try to take care of everything yourself, let us be here for you, ok?" Jinora said with Opal nodding in agreement. I went to interject but Opal held her hand up.

"We don't want to hear it Asami, we're staying here, for all of you. Plus with us here, we can always run errands for you guys, like to get food or a spare set of clothes or anything like that, ok?" Opal said, I just nodded and agreed. Korra was awake, but didn't say anything. Slipping in and out of consciousness was taking a toll, hopefully they could get her stable soon.

A nurse came out with the bed and asked Senna, Tonraq, and I to follow him to the room. Opal and Jinora waved at us as we walked away and went to sit down. We got settled into the room, her parents sitting on one side and I was sitting in the other, both Senna and I were holding Korra's hands, and after a few minutes the doctor walked in.

"Good afternoon, I'm Doctor Kya, I'll be treating you today. So what seemed to have happened?" she said in a professional but kind voice.

Senna spoke up and explained Korra's history with concussions. Once she was finished, I explained what had happened at the apartment and told them about Korra being dizzy and the continuous slips in and out of consciousness. Dr. Kya asked a couple questions and walked over to Korra to observe her wounds. She had to undo the wrapping in her arm and head, and had to remove the bandages from her face.

"You and your friends did a great job wrapping her injuries. You kept her arms stable and you prevented a lot of blood from being lost." Dr. Kya commented after unwrapping Korra's head.

"Thank you, I've had a bit of experience with it," I replied, not thinking.

She raised a curious eyebrow at me but chose not to push further, which I was silently grateful for. Sometime between getting settled in the room and now, Korra had passed out again, so Dr. Kya said they would bring some medicine in to stabilize her but she would most likely remain unconscious until she was woken up. Her parents agreed to this so she wouldn't be wasting her energy on trying to stay awake.

After the medication was administered, Korra was taken for a scan to see the extent of the damage to her arm, face, and skull. Dr. Kya had agreed with me on the broken arm and the crushed facial bones but the wanted to make sure of the extent of those breaks.