Heart of a Hero

She was powerless again and it really was her fault this time, but she had no choice. It was either keep on shooting her heat vision at the portal to keep the invaders out or let them in and then lives would be lost and she couldn't have that, even if it meant sacrificing herself.

Winn was able to seal the portal just as she solar flared and collapsed on the hard floor, unconscious. A few invaders escaped, but Alex and her team were able to deal with them and rescue her before they could inflict any real damage. In the end, she solar flared and was trampled by the escaping aliens, but she was the only one injured. She could live with that.

Still, Lena found it necessary to yell at her, because, once again, she had completely disregarded her own safety and risked her life. Her wife is right, she knew, but what was she supposed to do? She was Supergirl. Was she supposed to just let them go through the portal and wait until Winn found a way to seal it?

Kara sighed, feeling dejected. For the first time in two years of marriage, they went to bed angry. Well, she went to bed and cried herself to sleep. Lena just crashed in her office, closing the heavy door with a bang.

Today she was feeling the soreness and stiffness on her body more so than the previous day, all the little aches most people usually complained about, and that always transcended her because she was Kryptonian, making themselves known with a vengeance. Scowling, she looked at the time. It was early still, but Lena had left already, without saying good morning, without even talking to her.

"It's not like it's the first time this happens, dammit..." Kara grumbled. She had solar flared many times before and was always in danger, why was it different now?

Glancing at her watch again, she decided she wasn't going to wait for the driver to get back to their apartment. She could use the walk anyway. It would help her think.

Grabbing her three-quarter dark coat, scarf, and bag, she left. Usually, she wouldn't bother with the scarf, but she was pretty much human right now and it was 59 degrees outside, and with her tendency to get sick when she solar flared, it was best not to take any chances.

##

She'd been walking for about ten minutes, completely lost in her own morosely thoughts, when a small voice reached her ears. Looking around, she saw a little girl, maybe six or seven years old, staring up at a tree, hands on her hips and not looking very happy. Seeing that the girl was alone, Kara decided it was best to check if everything was all right with her.

"Hi!" She smiled down at her. "Are you here all by yourself? Where's your mommy?"

The little girl looked up at her, her double braided red hair and freckled face giving her a very mischievous look. She pointed to the wooden door next to the garage. "She's in the backyard."

Kara nodded, still smiling. "Ok, and why are you here all by yourself?"

The girl sighed dramatically, and Kara had to suppress a chuckle. She looked exactly like Lena when she did that. "My cat is up there!" The girl pointed up to the tree, where a white cat looked down on them, unfazed. "And I've called Supergirl, but she's not listening, and he doesn't know how to come down!"

Kara's heart clenched. It was almost a daily routine for her to rescue pets from all sorts of predicaments, but she loved the look of happiness on the children's eyes when she gave them back their pets. They didn't even care that it was Supergirl who rescued them, they were just happy to have them back.

"She can't come right now, but you know, I'm her friend and she said I could help with these things when she can't be around."

The girl gave her a doubtful look and crossed her arms. "You're friends with Supergirl?"