chapter twenty-eight

Somewhere over the course of speaking with Melanie, calling my father, and having lunch with Vi and Meghan, my mind had changed: I wanted to start the vet tech program. After calling the number listed on my acceptance letter – two days before the deadline – I had received a quick congratulations and the new student spiel. The woman on the phone kindly informed me that I would be expected in a classroom building at nine o'clock sharp on Monday, January third.

Veronica, as expected, had been thrilled by the news. Of course, her representation of 'thrilled' included a long-winded speech on how it took me long enough to decide, and that if I opted out, she would, in fact, murder me. The mere suggestion jump started my twisted sense of humor as some bile rose up my throat because, little did she know, I wouldn't be around a few weeks after the program began.

It was nearing the end of the day, and I was checking out a man with a goldendoodle when the door chimed.

My breath snagged. Collecting myself as well as I could, I finished the transaction and waited, eyes glued to the register, for Warner to approach.

"Hi, Delia."

My cheeks ignited as I said, "Hi."

I had envisioned this very scenario dozens of times, imagining how it would play out. Warner and I hadn't spoken since the Friendsgiving party two weeks ago, and I often found myself wondering whether or not he was right below me in Melanie's apartment while I existed above. From overhead we were in the same space, but still entirely separated. Him coming to the vet was not included in the many ways I had anticipated our next encounter, and while part of me was happy he was standing before me, the other part of me was irritated, particularly the part of me that was blushing.

"How are you?" he said evenly.

"Fine." Licking my lips, I added, "What are you doing here?"

If I had seen Warner smile before, nothing compared to the one he was wearing now. It spread across his whole face and left a single dimple as a reward to indicate I had achieved the impossible. "I asked Meghan which vet you volunteered at."

"Oh."

He shuffled and scratched his ear. "Can I, uh, talk to you for a minute."

I craned my neck to Bethany and Veronica. Bethany was seated at her computer desk, her chair rotated in my direction, and staring directly at me; Veronica had a hip leaned against the counter, analyzing me just as intently as she munched on handfuls of popcorn, her afternoon snack.

My blush deepened. "Uh, yeah. Let's go outside for a second." I edged around the counter and said, "Be right back," to the two women before slipping out the front door.

"Take your time. Day's almost over," Veronica called after me.

"I, uh, noticed you haven't been at the coffee shop," Warner said once in the parking lot. It was nearly empty, save for a few cars, and I suddenly felt exposed.

Folding my arms around my chest, I said, "Oh, I took some time off to be with my mom, and to, uh, get ready for the vet tech program."

"So you're going?"

"Yep," I said, nodding.

"Good."

A motorcycle raced by and shattered my eardrums. "Warner," I began, shifting, "what are you doing here?"

Air flew from his lungs. "I came to apologize."

Now I was definitely thrown. Had I thought Warner would ever apologize for anything? No. Of course, there had been that one time on the beach, but the memory was so foggy, it was as though it never happened.