CHAPTER SEVEN

Daniel, worked a smile too fake to be true on his face. "Told you a reason?"

The shorter man shrugged. "Not reasonable enough."

"Escaping from someone?" He blurted. Upon hearing his accusation he held his breath, waited for a reply he sincerely hoped wouldn't be a question. 

His eyes widened. "Y-you think so?" 

Daniel, to cover his track, glared at him forcing the other man to take a step back. "What were her reason?"

"Uhmm… No… She wasn't comfortable with the salary." He shrugged again. "First to earn salary increase in just two months. Still that wasn't enough for her as her so greedy__"

Another round of stinky eye had him swallowing the rest of his words. Daniel knew the basis was as false as the love she claimed to had once felt for him. However, he decided to play along. "How much was she paid?"

"Sir…"

"How much?" Daniel repeated tersley.

"Twenty-five thousand naira."

Daniel, shook his head. When he realized what he was doing he sighed softly. Something that had nothing to do with understanding, and everything to do with anger and a touch of sadness. "Twenty-five thousand... like seriously?" A hounding guilt nicked inside of him. 

"Too much money right? You can imagine__"

"I need every details of her." 

"But…"

"Every single detail."

"I'm afraid__"

"You will be very afraid if you don't tell me what I demand for." Daniel, interrupted.

"She retrieved her application letter." He hurried to report. When he recieved another version of deadly glower, he added even more rapidly. "Fidelia, is a friend of hers, she might know a thing or two."

"Who is Fidelia?"

"The waitress you talked to earlier."

"Fetch her!"

Less than two minutes, Fidelia and the supervisor hurried back. Daniel, noted she was now avoiding eye contact. She might have been informed, he discerned. 

"I apologise for earlier…" Fidelia, said rubbing her sweaty palm on her jean. Afraid her summon might be to fire her, or punish her in another way.

Daniel, bite the inside of his mouth. "You mustn't apologize. You simply did as instructed. So tell me all you know about her." Fidelia's eyes bulged when he pulled out his wallet from the back of his pocket. Counted out twenty, one thousand naira notes and handed it to her. 

"Oh! Thank you! Thank you!" She did a little jump that was frozen in place by a glare her supervisors threw her way. Cracked an embarrassed laugh. "I only have her number."

"Ain't you her friend?"

"Only at work." She smiled cockily, let it dissolve when she saw the frown on Daniel's countenance. 

"Let me have it. That will serve."

Envy such she had never experienced roared like an angrily lion inside of her. Hesitantly she snached her phone from her pant pocket and scrolled through to contacts. His type was her dream man and she had just lost him to so-called Eva who wasn't any prettier than her. Infact she posses all the womanly physical endowment than Eva. She huffed, her breath getting more hotter. 

Finding Eva's digits, she briefly contemplated giving him a wrong number. But that will be an act of intentionally unleashing hell upon herself.

Hiding her bitter expression when she raised her head, she called out the numbers for him at the same time studied his clean long fingers as he punched the numbers. Wondered the extend of pleasure those soft hands would give her.