Chapter 52: Stop...Please

Third Person POV:

Draco sprinted up the stairs of the castle, dread filling his head, and adrenaline making him move faster. The words Lucinda barely managed to utter before he ran out were horrifying to him. "The tallest tower...Epona..." 

__________________________________

Epona stood on the ledge, looking down on the fields which were seven hundred feet below her. Her body swayed, the only light around was the moons, and the cold air pricked at her skin. She rolled up her sleeves, the countless scars on her arms showing at last. 

She left a note on her nightstand, telling people that they'd find her on the grounds in the morning. But not in the way they'd like to see her. Well, she knew they would all be happier if she was just dead anyways, so why not do them the favor and speed things up? 

She thought back on every good moment in her life, knowing that it wasn't going to be there anymore. Harry will be better off when she's gone. So will Draco. The conversation with his father proves it. 

Epona stepped up onto the railing, taking one last glance back at the school.

"Goodbye, Harry, Hermione, Ron, George and Fred, Ginny, August, Cassie, Pansy...Goodbye Draco." She sighed, and was about to step off, when the door burst open.

"NO!" Draco yelled, and Epona froze.

Her body was shaking from the cold, her breath visible despite it being mid October. 

"Why!?" She screamed, "I'm nothing but a useless little asshole who just gets in everybody's way!" 

"You're not!" Draco yelled back, his eyes watering, crying, "You're not a nobody Epona!"

She cried more, getting slightly angry, "Really!? Stop pretending! I know everyone will be happier when I'm gone! Do you know how many notes I get each day telling me just how much of a rip off Harry Potter I am?! I HATE MYSELF AND SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE! SO WHY NOT JUST END YOUR SUFFERING NOW!?"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A RIP OFF HARRY POTTER! YOU'RE SO MUCH BETTER THAN HIM!" Draco  yelled, stepping closer, "You're smarter, funnier, prettier, you're a pyromancer! Harry couldn't even compare t you even if he tried! Hell, you unite people like I've never seen before! No one ever in Slytherin ever did anything coordinated, yet look at them now! Not a single time have you not managed to put a smile on someone's face. On my face, in my lowest fucking moments. And you matter to me! More than anything else in the world!" 

Epona balled her fists and screamed, "Why? Why do I matter to you so much!"

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!"

She didn't say anything in response. She didn't even move. Her body just swayed lightly, and then tears started pouring out of her eyes. Draco had went up to the edge of the railing, holding his arms out for her to step into, and she did. Both of them held each other silently, no other noise besides the sound of the wind and Epona sobs. He cried silently over top of her, but just comfortingly held her.

"I'm sorry..." She mumbled, and he kept his hand on the back of her head, heartbroken.

"don't be. i'm sorry for never noticing your pain." He then pulled away slightly so he could look into her eyes, "I hope you know that you're so much stronger than them. You're so much better than them. Especially Harry. You don't have to say anything, just know that even the smartest, bravest, and strongest people need help sometimes. And just know that I'm here for whenever you feel like this again."

Epona was silent for a moment, then still looking into his eyes she muttered, "i love you too..."

Epona's POV:

It had been a few days since...the incident, and Draco hadn't left my sight since. Or rather I haven't left his sight. He hold my hand in the hallways, giving anyone who so as much looks at me funny a death glare that makes them speed away. We're not a couple or anything.

I just think we were both very emotional that night. He saved me though. I'll always owe him for that. If he hadn't been there, I would've jumped, and there's no question in that. But he was. And he was just what I needed.

I don't know why, but him telling me that I'm better than them, better than Harry, it made me feel...nice. Like I mean something. 

Draco sat next to me, book in hand and set it down in the library. We've been excused from classes for him to help me study extra hard for O.W.L's. He said that no one else in my situation would've even tried to take the O.W.L's besides me. 

Though part of me feels slightly disappointed. I don't know what for, but it's like whenever I see him, I feel nice, but then also upset. Like he isn't mine.

Not that he's an object people just have, but like...dating.

Then again, neither of us like each other like that...Even if we did, we have school to focus on. 

I bit my lip as I glanced at him. His hair was neatly slicked back, his face serious and focused on his notes. His intense stare that he kept on everyone and thing, but changes depending on the person or thing. His hand moved quickly and smoothly, flawlessly, like this was the most natural thing in the world. Draco licked his upper lip ever so slightly, then his eyes flicked to me, and I felt like I might've passed out right then and there.

"Notes." He said simply, and I nodded, getting back to work. I tried to ignore his smirk.

That stupid smirk. That stupid smirk that made my head fill with too many thoughts and emotions I don't understand. That stupid smirk that I wouldn't mind seeing forever.

That stupid smirk that I love.