22. conclave

I hovered close to Bellamy as he and I walked through the Worgeda in search of Kane and Octavia.

I felt a sense of uneasiness wash over me as I could feel a number of pairs of eyes watching us as we went.

The sounds of the representatives getting in their last minute training filled my ears, and I felt myself shudder at the thought of what they were all about to go through next.

"Hey, Brown Eyes!"

I felt myself stiffen as I froze. Bellamy, not realizing I wasn't right beside him at first kept walking. When he finally noticed, he turned and gave me a confused look. "What--"

He cut himself off, his eyes darkening as they looked past me to the oncoming figure. "What do you want?" Bellamy demanded, taking a defensive step forward.

"Just wanted a word." Roan answered, and even without looking I could tell he was smirking.

Bellamy clenched his jaw as he shook his head. "No way."

I sighed, giving my boyfriend a reassuring look. "It's fine, Bell. I'll just be a second."

He looked down at me in hesitation before looking back to Roan. "Don't try anything."

As Bellamy turned and began making his way toward Octavia, I finally turned and faced Roan. "What?" I snapped.

Roan let out a low whistle as he laughed. "I see that we are no longer friends."

I scoffed. "Yeah, I think it happened somewhere between you dragging me to the ascension ceremony and trying to get me to betray Clarke."

"Right." he mused. "Because you two are just the best of friends."

I rolled my eyes. "Is there anything else you need from me? Because I have to go prepare my best friend to fight in the Conclave you suggested."

"You mean my suggestion that saved us all from a war?" He challenged, not cowering away from my harsh comments.

My eyes met his, and we engaged in a stare down for a couple of moments before I spoke. "Good luck out there, Roan."

A small smile came to his face as he nodded. "See you later, Brown Eyes."

I left our interaction in a fluster. Instantly making my way toward Octavia, Bellamy and Kane, self consciously shrinking away from watchful eyes.

As I reached the three of them, I caught the tail end of a conversation between Bellamy and Octavia.

"You want me to hide?" Octavia questioned in disgust, looking to her older brother.

"You don't need to go up against the strongest warrior from every clan." Bellamy explained.

"I came here to fight." Octavia argued.

Bellamy lightly shook his head as he looked to his sister with pleading eyes. "You were the girl under the floor. Use that. Just like mom taught us."

I felt something flare in my heart as I watched Octavia's face soften slightly. The mention of her childhood eliciting a clear flurry of emotions.

"Bell's right, Tave." I said softly, drawing her eyes toward me. "You don't have to kill all twelve warriors. Smarter, not harder."

A look of understanding slowly came to her face. "I just have to kill the last one."

My face twitched into a small smile as I nodded. "Exactly."

"Ambassadors and advisors to the tower!" A scout announced to the entirety of the Worgeda. "Champions, to your flags."

I felt my heart clench as Octavia looked to the three of us, her face showing the fear she was in.