Code of Conflict Part 2

Have you ever believed in karma? The belief that if you do good that you'll eventually be rewarded by fate. Suppose you do tell me how it feels because it never came for me. My mother was a crack addict, and my dad was nowhere to be seen. Every day was a struggle to survive in the Badlands of Philadelphia, a hellhole of gang and drug violence. Despite all that, I was able to survive through it all and escape with one vision: to make my community a better place no matter the cost. Twenty-four years of hard work and the only thing that I had to show for it was betrayal and judgment. As I sat in that damn coffin, struggling to catch a single breath, Genesis came. From this world gone mad, Dawn Williams died with all of her ambitions to have Scale remain to be judge, jury, and executioner. Months have passed since I've claimed my vengeance, and yet my soul feels as hollow as ever.

Cold eyes stared into the warm Nevadan air, dead set on my oncoming target amongst the swirling sediments. As if it were preordained, Algorithm proved to be right as a Jeep with bright beams illuminated the chipped asphalt. With that signal, I quickly got to work, enveloping the oncoming vehicle in a blue aura that lifted it into the air. 2 tons worth of horsepower meant absolutely nothing to my command over gravity as the vehicle was left helpless. Before the occupants could get any ideas, my allies got to work. Like something out of a horror movie, Slime descended to the jeep, blanketing all five occupants as they screamed inside of his mucus-like body.

My skin crawled immensely as soon enough, six unconscious; half-naked army members plopped down on the ground. From there, the rest of The Crusaders popped out from the shadows: Marauder, Barrier, and Rebound all made their appearance with villainous intent. Each of their faces displayed a demonic visage reminding me all the more that we are just self-interested criminals, all playing in a game that we may never get finished. Slime then descended and transformed back to human to status check.

"Voice synthesizers, rental scans, and fingerprints are all prepped, plus the outfits can fit us just like he said. Mr. Masters' contact was right on the money."

"Shame, he had to go into early retirement," Rebound said gleefully.

"Good job, Slime, but you forgot one thing," Marauder said, ignoring Rebound.

"What?"

In that moment, Marauder's fingers grew a harsh gold as ten daggers of energy tore through the unconscious men with an expert aim! I could almost see the light drain from their eyes as Marauder coldly stated.

"You forgot to dig the graves," he said professionally.

Like a cold front, Marauder's aura singled out the rest of us, as if this was his way of asserting dominance. I've seen that look a thousand times before, which means that I knew exactly what to do. In another motion, I gently sent the jeep down and made a grave. And as I set everybody down, I knew it was only a matter of time before I would be one of them. Yet I didn't care, because for better or worse, I've decided that if I were going to fall, it would at least be a free one even if it means dragging everyone else with me.

Barrier/Jane Harp Pov

In the dead of night, we traveled towards Area 51 while equipping our essential outfits and gadgets. I've heard just about every story you can find, which is why I was the most on edge out of anyone, with my heart beating faster than a hummingbird. My senses crawled out every step of our odyssey in excruciating detail. After what felt like an hour, we managed to roll up into the base itself. Even from the outside, I could tell that the entire landscape of Area 51 has completely changed. The iconic base now resembles an imposing fortress, one with almost constant security as we heard the stomping of dozens of soldiers. However, our progress got immediately halted by our first hurdle, an old fashion car parking barrier with an attendant barreling down our necks.