Chapter 40- Into the Cave

Evelyn sighed as she cleaned her room, waving her wand to set all the items back in order. It had become rather cluttered, particularly with the Dark alert objects Moody had insisted she have. She sat on her bed slowly, leaning back to stare at the picture on her wall. Remus looked up from his book to roll his eyes at Sirius and James, who were proudly trying to curse a bowl of apples. Peter watched in admiration while sending the occasional glances in what could only be Mary's direction. She and Lily sat off to the side, taking enthusiastically with bright eyes, looking like sisters. Besides the image, there was another Muggle photo Lily had taken of her and Severus when they were kids. She could feel her brother's scowl glaring down at her.

"HEY EVE!" James bounded into the room, not brothering to knock, although he paused at the picture of her twin. "I think I'm going to have nightmares. Never thought I'd see Snivellus again."

Evelyn bit her lip as she sat up from her messy bed, moving in his line of eyesight. "What do you want, Potter?"

James pouted, pushing out his bottom lip dramatically. "Now is that any way to talk to your darling boyfriend?"

Evelyn froze for a moment, a faint blush rising on her cheeks. Turning away to hide it, she began to straighten the sheets on her bed, "that's odd, seeing as you never asked me for a relationship."

"What?" James looked genuinely confused, his glasses glinting in the afternoon sunlight slanting through the window. "Yes, I did. When I—" he stuttered in an attempt to come up with a response. To Evelyn's surprise, he got down on both knees, raising a hand to his heart. "Evelyn Elisabeth Snape, would you do the honours of becoming my girlfriend."

"Don't be ridiculous," Evelyn snapped, a mischievous gleam in her eye. "Of course I will." She immediately turned back and adjusted her comforter, feeling James growing impatient behind her. She stepped backward in shock as the bed leapt to life, the sheets folding themselves. She turned around to face the dark-haired man.

James dropped his voice to a whisper. "Forget the bloody bed." Taking a step forward, he closed the distance between them, pulling her neck forward and placing his lips on hers.

Evelyn sank into his touch, falling backwards on the bed as James leaned on top of her, the warmth of his body seeping through hers. "You had a reason of coming into my bedroom, didn't you Jamesie?" she murmured without pulling away from his mouth.

"Can't help myself," James's voice was hoarse as his eyes scanned her figure in admiration. "You're beautiful, Evelyn."

"I love you." The words slipped out before Evelyn could realize what she was saying and as soon as they did, she clapped a hand over her mouth in horror. "Just forget that—"

"Why would I want to forget that?" A light pink dusted the top of James's cheeks as he gazed at her, his hazel eyes glimmering with joy. "I love you too."

Evelyn smiled as he captured her lips once more and she let herself sink into the mattress, enjoying a proper snog.

---

Evelyn bit her lip as she looked over at James, who was sleeping soundly on the sofa. His lips were parted in a soft snore as his hair fell messily over his forehead. Taking out a sheet of parchment and a quill, she pursed her mouth as she began to scrawl a quick letter.

James

I had to leave, please don't be angry. There is Order business I have to take care of. I'll explain when I get back. Thank you for the last few months, they've been incredible.

All my love,

Evie

Folding it carefully, Evelyn placed the letter on the table besides the sofa, leaning over to kiss James gently on the forehead. She couldn't help feeling guilty for leaving him like this, but if what Regulus said was true, there was no way she could bear to put James in that sort of danger. Taking one last look at the sleeping man, she let out a soft smile before disapparting with a pop.