7 | Who Let The Dogs Out

Simran :

It took me two days to get the room ready.

Thankfully Sher Khan, which is my new nickname for villian Vikrant Suryavanshi, had been off to London for some business meeting.

Two days later he arrived.

I was in my room keeping a close eye on him as he entered the room. I slowly went and stood behind him in silence.

He looked at the room, shocked I guess.

His depressing room was now in a hue of blue and white with contemporary art paintings on one of the walls. The huge photo frame stood where it had been, over the bed. I had found some old photographs of him with his brother and of his younger days which now hung on the wall opposite to his bed.

The depressing plain white curtains were replaced by marine green curtains with the blue walls having sea-like art.

"You did this?", his voice was soft.

For the first time.

"Who else do you think?", I asked a little harshly.

"Good.", he stated. I was standing behind him, I could not see his expression but that "good" sounded pretty genuine.

"Thanks.", I said and left.

....

Vikrant had gotten into that room and not come out, it was weird that he liked my work that much.
Anyways I'm good at my work.

It was late afternoon and was boring.  I needed some excitement.

I was sitting with his rule book open, searching for my next target.

Just then my phone rang.

" Yes Mom..", I said picking up the call.
"Simi, your dogs and cats can't live without you it seems. They've not been eating properly.", my mom said annoyed.

"But..", just then I noticed another point on the rule book that said "No pets allowed".

Deal done.

"Don't worry mom, they'll stay with their mommy and papa.", I said getting off the bed.

....

Vikrant :

The food had been tasteless as usual.
I sat in the room eating my lunch, which was terribly cooked or rather I was a foodie.
My lunch was done.

Simran Ahluwalia had started making things difficult for me it seems.

The room was so beautifully designed that it was melting me away.
From my mother's favourite colours to the kind of art she likes. My old memories with daddy and Vikram, my brother.

Also the sea theme fit perfectly owing to my love for beaches.

This girl could literally impress just anyone.

I picked up my phone and called up her agency.
"Yes sir?", her boss asked.
"Simran has been very good with her work. She should be given a promotion soon.", I stated.

"Oh.. Okay.. Of course sir.", her boss said as I hung up.

Yes, that's how I spoke over calls.

I sat back, resting my back on the head of my king size bed.

Maybe taunting me wasn't that big a crime that I was behind her soul. So many people had taunted me, made fun of me, but none had affected me the way hers one did.

I was almost dozing off, thanks to the tiredness of my journey, when there was the sound of barking.

I instantly sat up.

"Not again.", I said with a sigh as I opened the door of my room to find a dog looking up at me.
A pet dog, definitely.

There goes any other rule.

"Simran Ahluwalia!", I shouted.

"Yes, Sher Khan.", she said sweetly walking out of her room with another dog, a Pug in her arms.

"Who is Sher Khan now?", I asked irritably.

"You, grand sire.", she said smiling mischievously.
I smiled sarcastically.
"Very good. What is this dog and that one doing here?", I asked.

"Come on.. Shakti, baby come here to mumma. Papa is always having temper issues.", she spoke to the dog that had been before my door.

"Papa?", I asked confused.
"Yes, you.", she said smiling.

"No you can't just make my Papa without my permission, ma'am.", I stated trying to process this nonsense.

"I can do whatever I wanna.", she said smiling cheekily.
"And there are eight more dogs and yeah one cat, Bagheera.", she said as if it was totally normal.

"You own freaking ten dogs and a cat?", I asked softly.

"Of course and I've been taking care of them really well all these years.", she said with a smile as she headed back into her room as her dog 'Shakti' followed her in.

"You're doing this to annoy me, aren't you?", I asked irritably as I stood at her door.

"Happy realisation.", she said now busy in hugging her cat.

I sighed.

She looked at my tired expression through the mirror.

"Sorry but they can't live without me. And you can't live with them, so how about letting me go back—"

"No. Thank you. I'll tolerate them but you ma'am are going no where.", I said.

She smiled.

"I love the way you never wanna let me go.", she said smiling sarcastically.

"Never gonna.", I replied with the same sarcastic smile.

....

Maybe he's softening.. What do you think?