Chapter 43- Deerly Beloved

Regulus pulled Evelyn to the side as Malfoy flung himself in their direction, his face fixed in a malicious sneer.

"YOU TRAITOR!" Lucius roared, spit flying out of his mouth as he sent curse after curse spinning out of his wand.

"Now, now, Lucy," Sirius smirked as he sent a well-placed jinx in the blonde's direction. "My brother finally realized that the good side is just so much more appealing." He looked down at Lucius, who had collapsed on the floor, struggling against the ropes that encircled his ankles. "And much more fashionable."

Evelyn rolled her eyes as she narrowly dodged a red hex hurtling towards her chest. Retaliating, she shot her wand in the Death Eater's direction. "STUPEFY!" The cloaked figure froze on the stairs, falling backwards with a crunch. She turned around to see James staring at her in admiration and a small smile grew on her lips. "Jealous, Jamesie?"

"Marry me."

Evelyn stiffened and dropped her wand, ignoring the battle raging behind her as her eyes grew wide. "What?"

James smirked, his glasses reflecting the various spells being cast around them. He grabbed her waist, pulling her to his chest. "Evelyn Snape, will you marry me?"

Evelyn stared at him, her mouth falling open in shock. Blinking quickly, she shook her head, swallowing and trying to find the right words. A curse soared over their heads, nearly hitting her in the back. Momentarily distracted, Evelyn spun around to face their opponent. But Avery was already lying on the floor, his face covered in painful blisters.

"I'll take care of that," James looked rather nervous as Evelyn turned around to face him once more. "So, I sort of need an answer here," the man rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Oh!" Evelyn breathed, beaming with happiness. "YES!" She threw herself into his arms, embracing him tightly. "Absolutely."

James smiled into her hair as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders, pulling them out of the way of a rain of rubble. "Brilliant." Looking over his shoulder, the Gryffindor smirked. "OI! PADFOOT!"

Sirius panted from where he had been shooting rocks at the oncoming Death Eaters, his face bloodied but looking rather enthusiastic. He had been moping ever since he had left Remus, constantly worried for the man. "What is it Prongsie?"

"I think that certificate we got last month needs to be used!" James called, swinging his wand over Sirius's head and aiming a nasty jinx over his shoulder.

"What?" Sirius looked at his mate with a skeptical expression. "NOW? Seriously?"

James grinned as Evelyn looked between the two, extremely confused. "You are Sirius."

The older Black grinned, back to back with Regulus as they shot jinxes in every direction. "Deerly Beloved—"

Evelyn's eyes opened in realization and she nearly tripped over a large block of marble, stumbling into James.

"Careful love," James sent her a mischievous wink. "No dying on our wedding day."

"You're insane," she whispered, although she was unable to keep the large smile from growing on her face.

"BLOODY—" Sirius cursed as one of the Death Eater's spells hit him in the side, tearing a hole in his robes. "Okay, I'm skipping to the part that really matters."

"Wow," Evelyn teased, flinging her wand and causing the stairs to crumble, taking several Death Eaters with them. "I hope we're not paying you for this."

Sirius rolled his eyes, panting heavily. "IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE HERE!" He closed his eyes briefly, seeming to summon his patience. "Prongsie, do you take this annoying woman, or thing, or whatever she is," he smirked savagely as he stunned another Death Eater. "To be your deerly wedded wife?"

"I do," James pulled Evelyn closer, a faint sheen of tears in his eyes as he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"NO KISSING YET!" Sirius reprimanded, narrowly dodging a stone pillar as it collapsed. "Snake, do you take our beloved Prongsie, who you frankly don't deserve, to be your deerly wedded husband?"

Evelyn snorted at his words, rolling her dark eyes as she smiled widely, entwining her body with James. "I do."

"EXCELLENT!" Sirius grinned as Regulus disarmed the last Death Eater, who turned and ran out the doors. "God willing, I now pronounce you—"

He cut himself off as James and Evelyn had already started snogging, pressing their lips together passionately.

Sirius yelped and reached over to Regulus, covering his gaze with a bloodied hand. "NOT IN FRONT OF THE KIDS!"