Chapter 44- The Spy

"REMUS?" Evelyn gaped, standing still only for a moment before she rushed at her friend, pulling him into her arms.

Remus grinned, exhausted but obviously quite pleased with himself. Several new scars lined the side of his forehead and he leaned on his left ankle tentatively, his robes dirtied beyond repair. "Hey Eve."

"Lupin here has had great success," Kingsley beamed from where he stood behind the man, folding his hands proudly. "Because of him, we were able to convince a large number of werewolves to fight with our side."

Sirius thumped his friend on the back enthusiastically while Remus winced. "That's Moony for you. Always the epitome of perfection."

"Wait," Remus's gaze flickered on the rose gold band encircling Evelyn's finger. A smile quirked the corners of his mouth. "Did he really ask you?"

"They're already married," Lily responded, an irritated look in her eyes. She tossed a lock of fiery hair behind her shoulder dramatically. "IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE!"

James smirked as he wrapped an arm around Evelyn's waist, pressing a kiss to the side of her forehead. "I'm a romantic, aren't I, Evie?"

"Just be glad we didn't stay together," Lily grumbled, folding her hair into a swift braid. "I would have murdered you for pulling a stunt like that."

The group burst into laughter as Dumbledore stood from where he had sat behind the desk in his office. "I am delighted you all may be together again," the headmaster smiled, looking down over his half-moon spectacles. "However, we are still on the hunt for Voldemort's horcruxes. Other than the locket and the ring," he gestured over to the golden band encased in a leather box, "the Order has been unable to locate any others. Not to mention, how to destroy them."

Evelyn bit her lip as she took a seat besides James, leaning into his shoulder for support. "There aren't any books with clues or hints to a solution?"

Sirius snorted as he sprawled out on the magenta sofa, kicking his legs up on the seat. "Leave it to you nerds to think the answer for everything can be found in a book."

"Ah, I find literature to be the most exquisite form of magic, Mr. Black," Dumbledore replied, raising a calming hand at the indignant expression on Lily's face. "However, in this case I must agree that further help is required. Thus," he leaned forward, his blue gaze serious. "I will reveal to you one of the Order's most guarded secrets."

James and Evelyn exchanged a confused look. Her husband raised a questioning eyebrow in the headmaster's direction. "Why would you tell us? No offense," he quickly added, looking rather embarrassed. "But we're your youngest members."

"And so is he," Dumbledore responded simply, looking over at the door to his office with a knowing smile. "Severus, would you come say hello to your classmates?"

Evelyn's mouth dropped open as her brother appeared around the corner, not looking at all pleased. A dark scowl twisted his face as she stood abruptly, throwing her arms around his shoulders. "OH!"

"SNIVELLUS?" Sirius did not share her sentiments as he jumped to his feet, his grey gaze flashing in indignation. "He's a Death Eater!"

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, folding his fingers carefully. "Actually, Severus has been working as a spy for the Order. Under our direction," he peered at Sirius and James carefully. "The whole time."

"What?"

The silence was broken at Lily's soft whisper. The redhead hadn't moved at all, her face devoid of all colour as she stared at Severus. "I thought you were a traitor."

Evelyn's twin flinched slightly at her words, ducking his face towards the ground. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Lily." He turned to face James and Sirius with an unpleasant sneer, "don't think this means I like you."

"Noted," Sirius growled, his expression twisting with disgust as he turned to face Dumbledore, gesturing at Severus angrily. "You don't want—"

"All of you to work together?" the headmaster dipped his head calmly, seeming rather amused by Sirius's display of emotion. "Yes, Mr. Black, I do." He raised a firm eyebrow. "I trust you and Mr. Potter will be able to put aside your differences with Mr. Snape and focus on the task at hand. It is essential we use Voldemort's weakness against him."

James dipped his head immediately, Sirius looked not quite so convinced. "Yes, sir." He sent an amused glance at Evelyn, who still had her arms wrapped around her brother. "I'm afraid my wife would be rather angry with me if I didn't."

Evelyn smiled, rolling her eyes at his teasing tone. Turning back to her brother, she grabbed his arm in excitement, "you can stay with us!"

Severus had gone rather pale, stuttering to himself for a few moments before regaining his speech. "WIFE?"

"Oh," Evelyn turned a bright pink as she leaned back in realization. "Right, I forgot to tell you—"

James swung an arm over her shoulders, a smug expression on his face. "I'm shagging your sister now."

Evelyn had never seen Severus so red.