Chapter 45- Matchmaker

Evelyn rolled her eyes at the sound of raised voice echoing from the upstairs. The last few weeks had been a rather large adjustment, with James, Sirius, and Severus all coexisting at Headquarters. Needless to say, Severus still had a hard time meeting her in the eye after James's little announcement.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Lily looked over from where she leaned against the counter, instructing Evelyn on how to make Shepherd's Pie. She reached over and grabbed Evelyn's hand, moving the potato peeler down in even strokes.

Evelyn frowned, shifting her thumb out of the way to avoid impaling it. "About what?"

"Severus." Lily had stared off towards the doorway, her emerald gaze muddled. "I thought he was really a Death Eater."

"Oh," Evelyn set down the peeler carefully, wiping her hands on her robes as she turned to face her friend. "I should have," she bit her lip, "I guess I just didn't know if I should have told anyone."

Lily sighed as she gave a soft nod. "I understand. He put himself in a lot of danger." She leaned over, grabbing a bundle of carrots and carving the tops off rather aggressively.

Evelyn watched her with a worried expression. "You alright, Lils?"

"Does he ever talk about me?" Lily blurted, turning red as she turned away, staring at the vegetables. "I always wondered.. and then I.. and James.. well."

"Lily," Evelyn shifted towards her friend carefully, placing a gentle hand on her arm. "Do you like Severus?"

"WHAT? NO!" Lily shook her head adamantly, her hair falling out of the knot she had tie to the side of her cheek. A slightly crazed expression gleamed in her eyes.

"Because I would fully support that," Evelyn folding her arms against her chest, smiling slightly. "And I think you should know he's been in love with you since the day we could walk."

Lily chewed on her lip, playing with the rings on her fingers nervously. "You really think so? I used to see it, but then we had that fight and then there was James and we haven't really talked since."

Evelyn laughed as she grabbed the redhead's shoulders, turning her to look in her eyes. "Lily, slow down. I can barely understand you." She grabbed another potato, inspecting it for spots with a smirk on her face. "There are a few things you know as a twin. And one is when the other is in love."

"Who's in love?" James bounded through the doorway, looking particularly pleased with himself. He sidled up next to Evelyn, taking a bite out of a carrot before pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"I am," Evelyn looked up at the man sweetly, giving him her best doe-eyes. "With you."

James frowned, pulling away suspiciously. "What do you want from me, Evie?"

Splashing her hands into a sink of soapy water, Evelyn pouted, trying not to laugh at the expression on her husband's face. "Why do you think I'm asking for something?"

James pointed the carrot at her, narrowing his gaze. "Because you're never that nice." He glanced over at Lily, raising his eyebrow. "Am I wrong, Evans?"

"Not at all," Lily smiled, rolling her eyes at Evelyn's betrayed face. "Once she starts hugging you, it's got to be something bad."

"I want you to leave my brother be," Evelyn took a step forward, waving her wand at the pots behind James and turning on the stove. "I know about the snakes you put in his bed last night." James had the decency to look guilty. "And give him and Lily some time to get reacquainted."

The man snorted, rolling his eyes before noting his wife's serious expression. "What would Lily—" he cut himself off, gulping in horror as he turned to look at the redhead. "Tell me Evelyn's not playing matchmaker!"

"Matchmaker?" Sirius grinned as he pranced through the doorway, Remus following behind with an irritated scowl. "I heard my name!"

Evelyn pointed her soapy finger at her husband threateningly. "Not. A. Word."

James had the sense to look oblivious, although she noticed him fidget with his robes impatiently.

"Time for dinner!" Lily looked up from where she had cracked open the oven door. "Mostly made the Muggle way. Besides Evelyn cheating a few times," she glared in the woman's direction.

"Just be thankful she didn't burn the house down," Severus drawled, strolling in through the door and taking a seat at the small table. "Nearly left us homeless when we were ten."

Evelyn watched happily as he and Lily exchanged a quick look before turning away, both blushing uncomfortably. She clasped her hands together with a smirk.

"I see you, you know," James's breath tickled her neck as he leaned over to whisper in her ear. "You're lucky I love you, or I would be keeping Snivellus away from Lily with an iron torch."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, turning and swatting him on the chest.