Chapter 48- Or Is It?

"There is nothing you can say to make me feel better." Evelyn's voice was hoarse as she stared at Professor Dumbledore from across the desk. She was once more in his office, although this time she was alone.

The headmaster sighed, a pained expression on his face as he leaned forward and clasped his hands. "I miss James already."

"Do you?" Evelyn leapt to her feet, her eyes blazing as she raised a hand to cradle her stomach. "I don't think you really care!" She lowered her tone darkly, "as long as you won, right?"

"Mrs. Potter, I assure you that is not the case!" Dumbledore stood, placing his ringed fingers on the top of his desk. "You should honor your husband's sacrifice—"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER!" Evelyn roared, tears streaming down her cheeks even though she thought she had none left. "You tell me his love for me defeated Voldemort. That the curse rebounded after his death and protected me from being killed. Now you tell me that monster isn't all the way gone?"

Dumbledore reached out a hand, attempting to comfort her, but she flinched away. "Evelyn, you knew Tom could only be destroyed completely if his horcruxes were first."

Evelyn scoffed, pain flaring in her chest. "So, James only prolonged the inevitable? Was love not enough this time—" she cut off as her eyes widened in realization. "Time." She looked up, her unbrushed hair clumping in front of her cheeks. "Professor, we could use a time turner. I could go back!"

Dumbledore shook his head immediately, a firm determination in his eyes. "Evelyn, the risks are too great. It could lead to Voldemort's rise to power—"

"I DON'T CARE!" Evelyn screamed, grabbing the wand at her side. Lowering her voice, she stared at the headmaster intently. "I, unlike you, see people as more than pawns to be played with." Spinning on her heel, she stomped down the stairs, sprinting into the corridor.

"Evelyn!"

She was pulled back as Severus grabbed her arm, his gaze serious. "I," her brother paused, looking down uncomfortably. "I overhead your conversation—"

"Oh, spare me the lecture," Evelyn snapped, pulling her hand away as she began to turn around. "I'm going to—"

"Break into the ministry and steal a time turner?" Severus raised his eyebrow scathingly. "And you think you can do that alone?"

Evelyn looked down, her voice breaking as her body began to tremble. "I have to try, Sev."

"Of course, you do."

She snapped up her head in surprise at her brother's gentle tone. He gave her a small smile.

"AndI'm coming with you."