Chapter 49- Madness of the Ministry

"You're insane," Evelyn managed a weak grin as she ducked into a telephone box alongside her brother. "You do realize you're a criminal for helping me now?"

Severus rolled his eyes, placing a few gallons into the coin slot. "Nothing I haven't been before." The booth shuddered and began to descend into the ground.

"That was surprisingly easy," Evelyn frowned as she rubbed her stomach nervously. "Didn't think I could get into the ministry through a telephone booth on the streets of London."

"You're lucky it wasn't the toilets."

Evelyn was cut off from questioning Severus further was the booth screeched to a halt, grazing the ground of a huge lobby. Emerald tiles covered nearly every area of the open space as wizards and witches bustled across the expanse. In the center stood a large golden statue, a wizard in the center proudly shooting water from the tip of his wand.

"Never thought I'd be trying to break in," Evelyn smiled fondly as she scanned the crowds. "James always said—" she looked down in shame, feeling a wave of sadness.

Severus reached over, squeezing her hand. "We will get him back." He gazed at her seriously as he leaned closer and lowered his voice. "I have a plan."

Evelyn listened to his words carefully, her eyes widening as she brushed her hair into a low knot. "You really think that the time tuner won't—"

"I can't guarantee anything," Severus interrupted, leading her down the atrium. "But its our best shot. Either way, the Dark Lord won't be destroyed forever. But," he pinned her down with his dark eyes. "Promise me you will only make that choice if there is no other."

Evelyn grinned, a flare of mischief sparking in her gaze as she tapped her wand on her head, performing a Disillusionment Charm and fading into the background. "You know I can't."

Severus rolled his eyes, but pulled out a swath of silver fabric from inside his satchel, looking around to make sure there was no one paying attention. "I can't believe Potter has had an invisibility cloak the entire time." He grimaced. "Explains a lot."

She managed a small smile as they strode down the corridor towards a set of lifts that led to all corners of the Ministry. Squeezing in with a pair of rather short wizards, Evelyn and Severus positioned themselves at the back, careful to not brush the men's bodies and expose themselves.

"You know," the wizard with the darker hair turned to look over at his friend. "If Snivellus wanted to use the cloak, he should have used a bit of cologne to disguise his stench."

Evelyn's mouth fell open. "SIRIUS?"

The second man smiled slightly, his lips twisting at the corners of his mouth. "Did you hear that, Padfoot? It sounds like a ghost is speaking to us."

"Well, I would tell said ghost," the wizard who was quite obviously Sirius rolled his eyes. "That she is an idiot for trying to leave us out of the greatest prank of all. And that Wormy and Evans are waiting downstairs to help them through the Department of Mysteries."

There was a sudden jolt as the lift hit the bottom floor and Evelyn fell backward, hitting her head on the wall with a wince.

"Always such a klutz," Sirius pulled out his wand, back to his usual features. Remus leaned down and offered Evelyn a hand with a tight smile.

Evelyn accepted it with a grateful nod, placing her hand over her stomach as she stepped off the lift into a circular room. It was lit by a few torches that hung randomly from the ceiling, revealing a series of doors.

Remus scanned each worriedly. "Which one do we choose?"

Sirius shrugged from where he stood beside him, leaping forward eagerly. "Only one way to find out."