Chapter 62

***This is a triple update! Please don't read this unless you've read Chapter 60 and 61 as well. Love you all lots.***

———
Terraform - Novo Amor, Ed Tullett
Forever & Always - Zeph
———

Chapter 62

"What's wrong?" His tone had developed an edge, having asked three times now. The concern in his expression made my heart thunder in my chest.

I grabbed him softly, directing him to the couch. He obliged, legs seeming to move on their own, as his eyes never left mine.

"Just sit," I murmured. "I have something to tell you."

From the floor, I picked up my discarded clothes, throwing my shirt back over my head and pulling my jeans back up my legs. I could feel Harry watching me the entire time. His breath hitched as I finally went to sit beside him.

His skin was soft as I cupped his cheeks, our knees knocking against one another from how we were sitting. And warm. But Harry was always warm. That ever-burning flame that had pulled me out of the darkness.

I bit my inner cheek, not knowing where to start and not ready to.

My voice cracked when I finally spoke. "You know I love you, right?"

Harry ran his tongue over his bottom lip, reaching up to grab my wrists and pulling them away from his face, where he knitted them in his lap. "May, you're scaring the shit out of me. What's going on?"

"I love you." I repeated again. "Okay? Please. Tell me you know that."

With an exasperated shake of his head, Harry blinked a few times, before muttering, "Okay, yeah. Yes. I know you love me."

My eyes closed in an attempt to rally my thoughts, hoping that maybe in one last, desperate attempt – I could find solace in the darkness once more, only to fall short. Nothing. My solace was sitting right in front of me.

"I got offered a job."

The words were just above a whisper. Harry had to lean in to hear them. His brows were furrowed when he pulled back. He shook his head as if not completely understanding.

"You got offered a job," he repeated slowly. "And this is you telling me you have to quit?" Relief flashed over his features. "May, fuck. That's fine. God, I was–"

"In France." The words cracked and I could feel tears pooling in the corners of my eyes. "The job is in France."

Harry's body stilled. He blinked at me a few times before shaking his head. "I – what? You... wait." He dropped my hands, standing abruptly and turning away from me to run a hand through his hair. "I don't understand. You got offered a job in France?" He turned back to face me, wide-eyed. "Fucking France?"

"Harry, baby, sit down–"

"You aren't going to take it, right?" He was violently shaking his head as if to make sense of things or maybe send my words tumbling right out of his skull.

"Harry–"

His eyes widened. "You are?"

"Just let me–"

He took a few heaving breaths, mouth parting. His jaw clenched and he shook his head a number of times, not even addressing me as he rambled, "France. What the fuck. That's an entire world away." He ran a hand over his face. "France, May! What – I mean, when did you even do this? How long would you be gone for?"

"It's an indeterminant contract, minimum two years."

Harry struggled to keep his reaction at bay. He was staring at me, chest heaving, mouth parted with no words. The blinding pain started in my chest, spreading like wildfire through every last nerve in my body, sending shocks of anguish into my brain. I stood up, reaching toward him, but he backed up a step, giving his head the briefest shake.