Chapter 5

Hawks shortly left the way he came, but not before giving her a sly wink as he jumped out the window. Aylee's face immediately flamed and she pressed her cool hands to her cheeks. She placed her palm flat against her chest, trying to calm down her racing heart. The woman kept telling herself that he is just a naturally flirty person, that it doesn't really mean anything. And when that didn't work, Aylee repeated one sentence over and over in her head.

"He is your client, BE PROFESSIONAL!"

Shaking her head to get rid of those thoughts, she grabbed her phone and headed out to check on how Shoto's doing. She closed the door, locking up her studio, and then hurried into her living room. Aylee found the 5-year-old napping on the couch and surrounded by soft plushies who form a circle of protection around him. The brunette smiled and snapped a quick picture to send to Fuyumi to update her in a text later. Not wanting to wake him just yet, she carefully picked him up and set the sleeping boy comfortably on her hip. His red and white covered head lolled onto her shoulder, his soft breaths tickled her neck.

Shoto let out a small grumble from the new sleeping position, but his eyes stayed closed. Aylee wondered how well he really slept last night if he's this tired. Walking out of her apartment, she began the small trek back to UA. Keeping in mind that Shoto needed more sleep, Aylee decided to not take the train and instead go the long way to the hero school. It wasn't raining so there was nothing wrong with adding an extra 15 minutes.

Aylee's hazel eyes flicked down and examined Shoto's sleeping face. The woman almost forgot how peaceful children looked in their sleep. Even with his scar, it doesn't detract from his innocence. She leaned her head down slightly and pressed a light kiss to the red burn mark. Shoto's lips upturned a little at the action in his sleep. Aylee's smile widened from seeing that minuscule movement.

'He's growing so fast,' she thought absentmindedly as she walks them peacefully on the practically empty street. Based on how much he's grown in the past week, he should be back to normal within 4 weeks. Aylee can't help but be saddened by the short time frame they have left together. But, she's done this plenty of times before. Cared for the child and then left when no longer needed. That's literally in the job description when becoming a nanny.

So why does her heart clench at the thought of leaving this time?

Caught up in her troubling thoughts, Aylee unknowingly let her guard down. She really should have taken the train today.

A dirty hand reached out of the alley they were passing and roughly grabbed onto the back of Aylee's coat. The unknown assailant slammed the pair against a brick wall and placed a blade against Aylee's throat. Her head was pounding and her vision began to blur at the edges. She became slightly disoriented from the blow the back of her head took.

"Look at me BITCH!"

The man threatening her was shaking and looking very crazed, almost paranoid or even afraid. Aylee felt movement in her arms and her eyes widened in remembrance. Shoto blearily opened his mismatched eyes and took in the situation with a confused and furrowed brow. Aylee couldn't move her head without cutting herself on the sharpened knife. But she couldn't put Shoto in any more danger.

No matter the cost to her own well being.

"GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY, BITCH! DON'T MAKE ME DO SOMETHING YOU'LL REGRET!"

She needs to protect him from any more pain.

Aylee moved her trembling hand and placed her fingers to cover Shoto's fearful eyes. The boy didn't verbally protest, but his body shook in her arms. He could practically sense the tension and danger in the air. It made him wary.