three

THREE
of flowers

It was a fair July morning, the sky was still dark slowly being consumed by colours. The maids were asleep and the Leversay household was so quiet and peaceful.

Except the room of one Lady Arabella Leversay, who laid awake staring at her windows, her mind of course was racing with thoughts, mainly of doubt.

She wondered whether any men were to show and present themselves to her family. Regardless of how much of a success last night may have been, she wasn't sure she spent enough time with any man.

Arabella feared the thought that she would be left sitting next to her father for hours on end until someone showed up only to go to sleep that night with crushed dreams, feeling hopeless. That her mother would deem the season a failure and lock her up until she was old and grey.

She got up and opened her curtains and stared out into the street, not a person insight. She wondered what it would be like to escape, not having to worry about marriage, instead fall in love with a foreign man and simply, travel the world.

Of course, such foolish thoughts she muttered as she dismissed any possible occurrence. This was simply her nerves talking, she knew she had to be perfect tomorrow.

Especially because her father had taken a lot of time to convince her mother to let Arabella into the marriage market, as she was originally meant to wait another year as her mother deemed her as "not ready". Maybe her mother was right, she was indeed not ready for this.

After what seemed like minutes of wondering, a knock at the door startled Arabella out of her trance and she was greeted by light as she realised it was now morning and that those minutes had turned to hours. Arabella quickly retreated to her bed and pulled the covers over herself.

"My dearest, it is time to awake," came the voice of her maid, Dahlia. 

"Good morning," Arabella nodded, removing her covers acting as though she had just awoken, letting out a yawn, "I suppose we must get ready."

"I assumed you would be more thrilled about this, my lady" Dahlia said.

"Of course I am-," Arabella paused for a second, "What if no one appears, what if I haven't attracted anyone-." Understanding how Arabella was feeling, Dahlia continued to prepare her dressing gown and hairpieces while she left the lady to dwell in her mind for a moment more.

"In my opinion, I believe there will be men lined up for you, my lady. You truly have nothing to worry about," Dahlia said sweetly.

Geneva stumbled into the room with an ale in her hair, her corset had been pulled much tighter, her bust almost spilling out. "Arabella, that corset will not do,". Geneva gripped the strings off the corset and pulled it tighter, over and over again. Arabella doubled over a little with the pain she felt.

"Mama... please," Arabella said, "That is enough,".

"I suppose, not as small as I was when I was your age," Geneva said, walking out of the room, a pep in her step at her daughters state.

After a tedious process, Arabella sat in her family room waiting for suitors. Her mother sat with stern look on her face and her father seemed unbothered, with a newspaper in his hands.

"My dear, if you have not drawn the interest of any young men. Do not fret-," Her mother spoke condescendingly to reassure her daughter, a satisfied smile playing in her thin lips, Geneva's voice soon lowered as there was a knock on the door and the doorman entered "Lady Leversay, may I introduce to you the most esteemed Lord Jeremy Burten."

A very sharp looking young man, with blonde hair and blue eyes entered the room, he was dressed in a pale blue vest and a crisp white shirt, in his hands were beautiful flowers and his face seemed confident as he extended his hands to Arabella.

"Hello," he said in a husky tone, Arabella could automatically tell that he was a deep smoker by the colour of his gums and the sound of his voice.

"How are you, my lord?" She asked the handsome man.

"Quite well now that I am in your presence," he said with a smirk and a charming look in his eyes.

Arabella blushed at his remark. "You are too kind, sir," she said.

Jeremy and Arabella retreated to the side of the room where they indulged in polite small talk until their conversation ran dry.

The second suitor arrived and was introduced as Lord Peter Mathers of Cornwith.

Lord Mathers and Arabella repeated the same process of sharing the most simple details about each other.

This occurred over and over again until the day became night and the town began to rest.

As dinner rolled around, Arabella sat seated in her chair as she slowly devoured her meal on the table. Her mother had not said a word throughout dinner and her father simply did not care.

"Mama, what is the matter?" Arabella asked, sincerely.

"I think you should not attend tomorrow's gala," Geneva said with a sigh, "I believe you have had your fun, you do not to need to promenade yourself everywhere."

Geneva was too proud to admit but she envied her daughters beauty and youth. This is why she often ended up preventing Arabella from flaunting herself.

"But mother! I-," Arabella exclaimed, hurt by her mother's requests.

"Arabella Bethany Leversay, if you speak to me like this again the only thing you will search for is a lock to escape the confinement's of your bedroom!" Geneva, exclaimed loudly, as she placed her fork onto the table rather loudly.

Arabella began to tear up, she felt frustrated by her mother's need to shield her "Please, mama."

Geneva shook her head and told Arabella to continue eating as she remained in silence not wanting to deal with her daughter any further.

"Oh for pity's sake, Arabella! Do not eat so much if you wish to acquire a husband," said her mother.

Arabella slumped and ran to her bedroom with tears in her eyes, she felt angry and frustrated. Unable to do anything except punch the air and scream without making a noise.