Chapter 11

The expedition felt like a complete waste

The expedition felt like a complete waste. Titans had been able to destroy the base they were building in the hopes that the Scouts could be able to venture further beyond the Walls. Angharad had been lucky this time, having barely escaped the clutches of a titan, its fingers caught on the edge of her cloak and pulled her to the ground, the air knocked out of her.

Had it not been for Erwin's quick thinking, her injuries might have been worse. Mike distracted the titan and allowed for Erwin to grab Ang and pull her out of the way to safety before assisting Mike in the killing blow. Commander Shadis had called for a full retreat after that. Too many of his soldiers were being eaten, and even more were too injured for him to hope they would all survive. The journey back to the gate was a solemn one. Comrades had arms slung across each other's shoulders as they led each other through the tunnel.

Keith Shadis hung his head, defeated. He could hear the citizens talking about the state of his soldiers. Someone special. A chosen one. The Commander scoffed as he remembered Grisha's words.

"Keith." The Commander looked up to see Carla...holding a brown haired baby boy with bright green eyes. He looked to be about a year old based on how big he was. He'd been so busy with planning the base operations and making sure his soldiers were ready for battle, he didn't even realize Carla had been pregnant.

"Carla, who's this child?" He asked.

"Eren. He's our boy." Carla responded softly. "I guess you never got the news. My husband worried about you." The young mother felt her son reach around and grab at her low ponytail, pulling it towards his mouth.

"Yea, I'm sorry." Keith Shadis gulped. Carla looked down to her son in her arms.

"Do you intend...on keeping this up until you die?" Shocked at her question, Shadis gasped.

Meanwhile, towards the back of the line, Angharad finally lead Onyx through the gate. She looked around for Carla and could see her talking with the Commander. Ang could feel the bruising in her ribs from when she was slammed to the ground.

"Make sure you get checked out at the infirmary." Erwin had stayed by the gate to wait for her. "You hit the ground pretty hard." Ang smiled. She leaned over and gave him control of Onyx's reigns before dismounting.

"Don't you worry about me." She smirked at him as he looked confused as to why she gave him her horse. "I'll be back at HQ later. I need to make a quick stop first."

Erwin watched as she walked over to her old friend Carla and the Commander. As Ang got closer to the pair, Eren noticed her presence and reached his fists out for his Aunt to hold him. She scooped him up and held him to her chest as Eren reached for one of her braids to play with. Erwin smiled as she held the baby's face close to her, kissing his cheek until he laughed. That must be her nephew she always talks about. Erwin smiled softly as he led her horse alongside him back towards HQ.

~

"Auntie Ang! Auntie Ang!" 4-year old Eren jumped up and down in excitement at her arrival.

Hanji rode on her horse next to her, smiling at the toddler who was bouncing in excitement at seeing his Aunt. Carla stood next to him, as well as a young boy with golden blonde hair. Ang turned to look at Hanji with a pleading look. The scientist smiled before reaching out for Onyx's reigns. Angharad's face broken out into a grateful smile, and she dismounted her horse before rushing over to the young boy, kneeling down to his height, and pulling him to her chest. She then turned and reached over to pull the other young child into her embrace next to Eren.

"She left you with Onyx again?" Hanji turned to Nanaba on her left. Nanaba was sporting her famous fringe undercut.

"I don't mind it, really." Hanji turned over her shoulder to look at Ang as she smiled at her nephew. She could see Eren gesturing wildly to the blonde boy next to him. "Angharad stops to see him every single time we come back to let him know she's safe." Hanji laughed before turning to Nanaba again. "The one time she didn't he threw a fit and didn't sleep for his mother at all. She ended having to leave HQ in the middle of the night to spend the night with him."

"I think it's sweet." Moblit chimed in. "She cares for him as a mother would."

"She'd make a great parent." Hanji nodded in agreement. She looked over her shoulder to see Ang hugging the two small boys before rushing to mount Onyx once again. Taking the reigns back from Hanji, she sighed and settled into the saddle again.

"You okay?" Nanaba asked. Ang turned with a tired smile.

"Yea. I'll be alright." She sighed.

"Are you sure?" Hanji could tell she was anxious.

"It's just..." She reached up to push her bangs out of her face. "Eren's friend, Armin. His parents recently died." Ang recalled the tearful face of her nephew's best friend a few weeks ago. "It just makes me wonder."

"Angharad." Hanji said softly. "You've survived the last 7 years with only a few close calls."

"But what if I don't come home?" She turned to Hanji with a worried expression. "It will crush him."

"You've been training with Mike and Erwin lately, and you've been able to keep up with them." Nanaba pointed out. "If you 3 don't come back, I don't think any of us would." Nanaba lead her horse over to the other side of Onyx to rub at Ang's shoulder. "You guys are the strongest soldiers we have. I don't think you're going anywhere anytime soon."

Ang wiped underneath her eyes before putting on a brave smile. "Thanks you guys." She sniffled again. They finished the journey back to Scout HQ in silence.