Chapter 41 - The peacock is a symbol of vanity and self-centeredness

The ones who need to be held the most are often too busy trying to hold others with their broken arms.

- JmStorm

DRACO's POV

My mother stood in the doorway, one hand on her hip and a sneaky smile on her face. How much of that had she heard?

"I'm just going to remove myself from this scene", Eleanor said quietly and then slipped out the door. Of course she would do that.

"Anything you have to tell me, Draco Malfoy?" my mother asked, crossing her arms, a smile still on her face. This was going to be so awkward.

"Well you wanted me to get along with Eleanor, didn't you?" I said, avoiding eye contact.

"I did", she said, letting herself into the room. I sighed and sat back down. Better to get it out of the way now. "I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. At Christmas I was certain the two of you were never going to get along."

"Yeah, I guess some things changed", I shrugged. A lot had changed. It was weird thinking back to Christmas brunch, the day after I had randomly kissed her. What if I hadn't done that?

"No, it's good. At some point in the foreseeable future, you two were going to get married anyway, so I'm glad you came to your senses", my mother shrugged.

"Marrying? Calm down mother, we're not even together", I said, holding up my hands. Marrying Eleanor? What was she talking about? I was sixteen.

"What do you mean, not together? I heard that you kissed her! Don't lie to me young man", she threatened.

"Merlin, mother, can you not eavesdrop at the door?" I grunted, burying my head in my hands. This was straight up embarrassing.

"That I kiss her doesn't mean that she's my girlfriend. It doesn't work like that."

"Excuse me?" she said, crossing her arms again. "No son of mine will treat a girl like that! If you want her around then you better earn it by being a proper gentleman! I didn't raise you like this! I swear you look more like your father every day."

I clenched my jaw. I wasn't like my father. He was a coward. He never appreciated me. I did appreciate Ellie.

"Mum, she doesn't want that yet either, we're just seeing where it goes", I sighed.

"Of course she says that! You don't understand a thing about women, Draco", she said. Well she had that right. "Of course she wants that."

"She really doesn't, mother." She was about to throw another retort, but in the end she just sighed.

"I trust you, Draco, you know I do. Just don't hurt her, okay? You know better." Did I? I had done a lot of hurting in the past. I didn't feel like hurting her now, but why did my mother have to make it so serious right away, talking about marriage and all that? Eleanor was the first girl I was somewhat serious about. Maybe she'd be sick of me in a month's time.

"But I'm happy for you, Draco, don't get me wrong", she said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I can see that she makes you happy and that's what matters." She smiled at me one last time before leaving the room. Did Eleanor make me happy? She did, I felt good when she was around. I could smile when it was just her with me.

One of the books she had pulled out of the bookcase caught my attention. Patronuses: the guide to spirit guardians the spine read. Eleanor made me happy, but happy enough so I could produce a Patronus charm? I had never been able to pull it off, but maybe one day I could.