5

Bucky Barnes

It's funny, after all of this time the very thought of her makes me nervous.

As I straighten the bow tie of my tuxedo, my thoughts wander to the green-eyed beauty that never ceases to amaze me. I can't help but wonder what I ever did to get so lucky? I could never deserve her, nothing I could ever do would make me good enough for someone as amazing as Dawn Beckett.

Still she stays.

I never knew I could need someone as much as I need her, never knew that my life was incomplete until I met her and found something missing and empty without her around. I don't know what I'd do if I ever didn't have her.

I give my appearance one more glance in the mirror before walking out of T'Challa's walk in closet and into the room where he stands glancing down at a screen. When I walk in, he smiles and walks over, clapping my shoulder.

"You look great, friend," T'Challa greets. I nod to him and begin to walk out of the room with him.

"Thanks man, really" I respond, casting a look down at my watch.

It's 6:00, meaning that I have an entire hour before I have to meet Dawn. Perfect.

"Hey, I need your help with something else" I inform, putting my hands in my pockets as I walk next to the Black Panther.

"Of course, what can I do for you?" he asks.

I take in a shaking breath, my nerves spiking at the very thought of my request. I know the minute I ask, it will become real. What I've thought about for months now will actual come into play. Thoughts of the past two years with Dawn flash through my mind, from the first moment we met to the stolen moments we've had under the public's eye. The more I think about it, the more confident I am and the more excitement tangles with the nerves. Impulsively, I ask the question.

"Where can I find a quality jewelry store?"

|||

Dawn Beckett

My worry spikes when the guards begin to walk towards where I sit.

"Bucky" I breathe, my eyes widening. He turns back around, his eyes lighted with a new panic.

"Dawn-"

His sentence is cut off by the five guards surrounding our table and raising their guns. Two are pointed at Bucky, two at me, and one guard holds a hauntingly familiar pair of power-silencing cuffs. My stomach drops to the floor, dread settling into the empty space.

"Dawn Beckett, come with us please" the cuff-holding guard grits out.

"And who is 'us' exactly?" Bucky growls, his tone threatening.

"The United States government," the guard answers, pulling out a paper and slapping it down onto the table, "You've been summoned to court on account of the Sokovia Accords Miss Beckett"

The restaurant is silent, all eyes trained widely on the commotion. I cast a look from the cuffs to Bucky to see his metal hand closing into a fist. Worry spikes through me and I reach forward, closing a hand around the fist. When he looks up at me, I shake my head softly.

"No fighting, I'll go with them" I inform.

His eyes widen. Before he can object, though, I stand and stick my wrists out for them to cuff. It's better if I don't fight. This is the international governments, after all. It is in my best interest to remain calm and go along with what they ask.

"She hasn't done anything wrong" Bucky grits out, but the guards don't listen or respond. At the entrance of the restaurant, T'Challa bursts through the doors.