Chapter 8

" Putri, go and give this milk to vrishasen and shatrunjay, they both are practising in the courtyard " Supriya handed two glasses of milk to vedangi. Vedangi walked towards their practicing arena taking precise steps and balancing the glasses of milk in her hand. They both were practicing archery. They way they both were carrying their bows mesmerised vedangi. She ran and stood in front of them both. " I also want to learn this " She said being stubborn.

" Dhana... You shouldn't come and stand in between like this, it may hurt you " Shatrunjay said keeping his hand on her shoulder. " Dada, I want to learn archery " She continued, her eyes stuck on them both. " We would definitely teach you, but we need the permission of aai and baba, okay " Vrishsen said sitting besides her.
" But dada... " Shatrunjay tried to interrupt, but vrishsen hinted him to keep quiet through eyes.

" Aai... Baba... Supriya aai " Vedangi ran towards them to seek their permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------
" No " Supriya said folding her arms near her chest. " But priya, it's for her self defence " Karna tried to convince her. " She may suffer from injuries arya . I won't let her learn weapons " Supriya insisted. " She would definitely sustain injuries, but she would be strong enough to protect herself in any situation priya " Vrushali kept her hand on her shoulder. Though vrushali was the birth motht of vedangi, supriya loved her to the same amount and was too protective about her.

" What's the need jyeshtha rani, she has five elder brothers, one younger brother, her father is angraj himself, she has uncle like shon bhrata, why does she want to learn weapons " Supriya was stubborn. " Supriya, may that not happen, but if someday, vedangi is stuck in some problem alone, would she keep on calling for her father and brothers? " What vrushali was saying was absolutely correct and supriya also agreed on it inside her mind.

" Fine, vashu may learn archery " Supriya said with a small smile.
" Thank you supriya aai " Vedangi hopped on supriya's shoulder and everyone started laughing.
---------------------------------------------------------
" Pull the string.... A bit more... Close your one eye and concentrate on the target.... Hold the dhanush properly..... Leave the arrow " Shatrunjay instructed vedangi. Vedangi's arrow missed the target by hardly few centimeters, which disappointed her. She kept the bow on a table and sat on a stone. " Dhana, you missed the target by hardly few centimeters, it's okay " Chitrasen tried to console her.

" No dada, I want to perfect in archery like pitashree and vrishsen dada " Vedangi said with an impish smile.
" Practice makes a man perfect vashusaini, the more you practice, they better you become " Karna entered into the practicing arena. He never called vedangi by any of her Nick name. Everyone touched his feet.

Karna then taught her, how to hold the bow perfectly, how the shoot the arrow more skilfully and how to concentrate more on the target. She was now able to hit the target that she missed by few centimeters, some time ago.
----------------------------------------- --------------
All children of karna, stood in one line with bows and arrows in their hand, in their courtyard. Karna had decided to take a mini test of his kids. Vrushali, supriya, durva and shon stood aside. " Ready... Set... Shoot " Karna gave order and everyone shot at their targets. All the elders gave a big round of applauds for the kids.

Karna went near their targets to declare the winner. " All of you have done excellent kids, I am proud of you all. But banasen and dvipat, you need to practice more " He announced. All of sudden sushena screamed " Dhana" Vedangi was pleading him to keep quiet through eyes. In no time everyone gathered near vedangi.

" What happened sushen, why did you scream? " Vrushali asked in care.
" Show your hand dhanashree " Sushen told her. Vedangi extended her hand in hesitation, it was bleeding. " Vashu..... " Supriya screamed . Vrushali tore a piece of her veil and tied it on the injured palm of vedangi. " Can't you be more careful little girl " Durva expressed her care in a single statement.

" Vrushali... Supriya... Durva... It's just a normal wound, its too normal while practicing archery. Ask your sons how many times, they had such wounds on their palms, ask shon " All sons and shon nodded in a yes. The three women moved away from vedangi.

" We all should go inside now, let them continue their practice " Vrushali took them inside. Ten year vedangi looked at the father with admiration. He was the person, who always stood by her and understood her the best.

Karna came near to vedangi and patted her head. " Be more careful " He whispered in her ears. Vedangi nodded in a yes. " Come for practice now " . They all continued their practice session together.
--------------- -----------------------------------------
Hey my lovely reader, hope you are enjoying the story.
Do let me know your thoughts through comments, they are much important for me❤