8. DROP THE ACT

Chapter 8: DROP THE ACT

*************************************

Alex's POV:

*************

I slumped over a pile of paperwork as I sat in my office looking miserably bored out of my mind. But when Will walked in carrying another pile of documents I frowned at him and whined, "No, please don't!"

Will ignored my dramatics and kept the pile on my desk, "These are the reports from the manufacturing department and the survey analysis from research and development." He said stoically.

"R and D? Didn't Rhea apply for maternity leave?" I asked, thinking back on the representative, she was hardworking for sure.

"She didn't, she was working overtime to meet the deadline." He said.

I sighed, "Tell her to apply for leave and go home."

"I'll do that." Will nodded, "There are other weekly reports here too, I'll leave them on your desk."

"Do you want my job? Please take it..." I asked him seriously while looking at him with innocent eyes. He didn't bat an eyelash.

"I don't suppose the board of directors would be very cooperative if I took on your job." He answered equally seriously.

"I hate it when you talk logic," I muttered in annoyance.

"So you mean always." He concluded with an affirmative nod to his own words.

I was about to say something back when my phone rang, distracting me. I answered it with a smile when Jenny's name stared back at me as the caller ID.

"Hello, sister-in-law! What can I do for you?" I asked in a teasing voice.

I could almost hear her blush on the other end, "shut up! There's still time for that..."

"Not a lot, seeing how eager Kyle is..." I smiled. Yesterday he was telling me all about this house he's looking to buy, for them to live together after marriage. He seemed elated about it too.

"Well that's true, my excitement looks nothing in comparison," she said knowingly. "Anyway, I need a huge favour from you, please don't say 'no' I'll die..."

I chuckled, "No need to be all dramatic.... gosh Kyle is corrupting you, what is it you want from me?"

"Your presence." she said, "I'm going with my mom to meet Rebecca today to discuss the theme of the wedding...She'd been insisting for a while now, but I want you to be there, please...can you? For my sake?"

I thought about it for a moment, Jenny hadn't asked me for anything before this, and with the way she was pleading it felt bad to deny. Mom could be a bit overbearing for sure, especially when work is involved. "Let me see..." I said holding my phone away.

I looked up at Will who was still standing there waiting for me to complete my phone call, "What's on my schedule for today?"

Without missing a beat, he said, "You have a lunch meeting with Ms Jones, and then an interview for the Time magazine."

I frowned. Oh man, an interview...It sounds dreadful. "Can we reschedule the interview? I'm sure it's doable.." I spoke on the phone and said, "Looks like I can make it."

Jenny marvelled at me immensely "thank you so so much."

"You're welcome, but mind you I'm just gonna be there, don't expect me to participate... " I warned.

"I would never." Jenny dramatically reassured. The call ended soon after and I was looking back at a very unimpressed Will.

"We have postponed the interview once already, it won't be nice if we did it twice." He informed me.