24

RESTRAINED FREEDOM

a/n: rrs, this chapter got some stuff changed/added so if you find something different from the 1st you read this, you already know why :)

_____________

Time kept going and suddenly, it was already my second week in the Black House. July was starting, summer in England made its entrance, and very little news came.

Four days a week, when Remus was here, we practised some of the advanced enchants and talk about our stuff. I never thought I'd be talking with a professor about details of my personal life, but he was one of the few people I could talk to.

Also, I became a lot closer to Tonks, who every time she was there, took me out to town to have a couple of beers and enjoy life as a normal teenager and surprisingly, I also started to talk with Hermione. Since we had to share rooms, on my third day she caught me looking at one of the pictures I had with Liv and Cedric, from one day we met during vacations in the summer of the third year, and the expression on my face must have been devastating because she sat next to me and offered to listen to me and try to help me if I needed it, from that moment on, we had some good chats before going to sleep.

I kept going to call Liv once every two days in disagreement with Mrs Weasley who considered it too dangerous, but I was still allowed to because Black thought it would be good for me. Remus, who was the one with authority over me, agreed with Sirius on letting me go out but also agreed with Mrs Wealsey on having me being accompanied by someone else. Poor George was always in charge of me and had always to follow me around London because obviously no one would trust Fred to take care of me and Little Weasley and Hermione were also in danger so there wasn't anybody else.

"Can I ask you a question, Remus?" I started while sitting on the desk and lightning my cigarette. The windows were wide open and Sirius let Remus and I practise on the third floor of the building since it only had studios.

"Sure," He replied while putting vinyl in his gramophone. Our class of the day was over, so as usual, we simply sat there, resting and chatting.

"Why has Sirius accepted having me in here? He doesn't like Snape and I can't really collaborate with the Order."

Remus seemed to think his response.

"I think you remind him to his brother Regulus. He was also in Slytherin, but he succumbed to his parents' ideas to join the Death Eaters, when he wanted to give a step back it was too late and they, well, they had their revenge. He was only eighteen years old." he said softening his voice, "I think that even though Sirius hates Snape, he's capable to see that you are nothing like him, that you are just a kid carrying with your parents' crimes."

"I wish it wasn't like that. I wonder how would I be if life had treated me a little bit better."

"You wouldn't be yourself, Lilith. The moments, good or bad, in our life shape our personality and who we are. Even though if they hurt you, they also helped you to know yourself." a brief silence imposed in the room. "If you don't mind me, I have also a question for you. It's about your uncle so if you don't want to answer it's okay."

Snape wasn't the kind of topic I wanted to talk about with anyone but since he responded to my question, I agreed.

"Go on."

"What happened between you two for being so distant? I mean, I know Severus is not the most affectionate person but I remember how proud he used to be of you when you were born and now, forgive me, but now it looks like you two are strangers."