Chapter 44

Derek's POV

Just a few moments ago Veronica was screaming in her sleep, she repeated this phrase, "I beg you, stop, please." I got shivers down my spine, I didn't know how to react.

I pull her in for a hug but she quickly breaks it and it hurts me to not be able to help her, I don't understand what happened. Maybe it was just a nightmare but something tells me it's not the first time for her.

She grabs her stuff and sprints towards the door and before I follow her, she closes my door.

I shortly after follow her outside and she doesn't even stop when I yell her name.

"Let me drive you home," I yell and she finally stops, she reaches into her bag and grabs the phone.

I go near her but not too close as I'm not sure of what's okay and what's not okay to do right now.

How can someone change in so little time? What was that nightmare about?

She turns to me and her eyes are droopy and watery.

"This is why it will never work," she starts and as I'm about to speak she stops me. "No, don't bother. You can't understand."

"You aren't even explaining anything, how can I understand what's happening?!" I raise my tone and she keeps her cold stare.

"What do you want me to tell you? How fucking insane I am? Because it's not the first time, neither the last," she yells and I stare at her in disbelief.

Something horrible happened to her because that's the only reason why she would get constant nightmares and her weird reactions... back when she fainted because of that fight with Nicole.

"You shouldn't go through this alone," I mutter and she shrugs.

"Maybe some people are meant to be alone." She turns her back to me and I walk closer to her.

I put a hand on her shoulder and she flinches however she turns to me, again.

"Let me drive you home," I say authoritatively and she seems to hesitate for a few moments but she agrees.

It seems that it's the most I can do for her.

We get into my car and she has her legs towards the door and she is only looking at the window, not even once at me.

"I don't want to pressure you but it's hurting me to see you this way," I say but it almost comes out as a whisper and I know I'm gonna regret asking her about this but I have to.

She is a danger to herself, she needs help.

I just know it's gonna end horribly if she doesn't speak about it and doesn't learn how to cope without alcohol.

Funny I say this now... when I was like her three years ago.

"Don't." She cuts me off and I sigh.

"Did someone hurt you?" I ask and she rolls her eyes, giving me a bitter laugh.

We lock eyes with each other and she quickly looks down.

She hesitates before replying and I already know the answer to the question. I just don't understand what happened, what, or who exactly hurt her.

"Everyone gets hurt," she says switching the subject and I sigh. This is so difficult.

It kinda reminds me of how hard it was to talk about my parents' death. It took me years to open up. I finally did when I broke down in front of Shanice three years ago.