31| Apart

Chapter 31: Apart (Evelyn's POV)

I flicked the bathroom lights off on my way out, gasping and getting extremely startled when I saw Archer sitting on my bed. 

Shirtless... but that's besides the point. 

"You um..." I forced my eyes up to his, realizing that he was smirking. "You scared me half to death," I chuckled, walking over and standing at the foot of the bed. 

He kneeled and then crawled over, grabbing my waist. "Good thing you're still breathing then," he whispered, kissing me long and hard. 

"What are you doing?" I smiled against his lips. 

"Currently?" Kiss. "Kissing." Kiss. "You," he said, kissing me between each word. 

"I can tell," I mumbled against his lips. I pulled back to look at him. "But what are you doing in my room?" 

"Making up for the time I did not spend with you today," he answered. 

"Oh," I whispered, nodding slowly. "Are you not tired?" 

"I am," he nodded. 

"Then how come you're not sleeping? In your room?" 

"Why would I do that when my parents and grandmother are out and I can use tonight to stay with you? You see, unlike some people, I don't sneak out," he said, narrowing his eyes down to slits. 

I rolled my eyes, resting my arms around his neck, my hand on the base of his neck. "No, you just sneak in when I'm using the bathroom," I scoffed. 

"Right, exactly." 

I smiled, shaking my head and closing my eyes momentarily. "I hope you didn't get too bored today at Cherie," I sighed while pulling back. 

He grabbed my hands, jerking me forward. My hands flew to his chest to steady myself so we didn't crash into each other and he wrapped his arms around my waist securely. "Not at all," he mumbled. 

"Give me a second," I laughed, pulling away and walking over to the window, closing the blinds halfway so that nobody could look inside and we couldn't look outside but some of the moonlight was still seeping through the gaps, illuminating the room gently. I sat on my side of the bed and then lay down, pulling the covers on top while he lay beside me. 

"You are likely to be more exhausted than me," he said while running his fingers through my hair. 

I closed my eyes, shifting closer to him. 

"You worked the entire day," he whispered, kissing the top of my head. 

"I am very exhausted," I mumbled sleepily, resting my head on his chest. 

"Go to sleep." 

"You go to sleep," I looked up at him, my brows furrowing. 

"I meant we will go to sleep," he smiled, kissing my forehead. 

"Goodnight," I said, already half asleep. 

"Goodnight." 

I fell asleep almost right away but woke up at some point in the middle of the night to an empty bed. I whined, rubbing my eyes. 

I don't sneak out? Right. 

I pulled my slippers on and then tiptoed outside. I sleepily knocked on his door but there was no response. 

He could be asleep. Perhaps I could just sneak into bed with him. 

I opened the door slowly, seeing him pacing back and forth in front of his desk. He stopped when he heard me closing the door and turned to me. "Sorry, I thought you would be asleep," I mumbled, walking over to him. "What happened?"