"𝘯𝘰 𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘱𝘦" 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸

PLEASE READ: I was hoping to start this book off on a positive note, promoting great hidden gems that I've come across in the past or recently. However, if you've noticed lately, there's a problem that's resurfaced in the fandom on this damn app. Embarrassing shit. Y'all have lost yo damn minds. We're back to praising and defending abusive/pedophilic/rapist/racist portrayals of Michael on our MB's and books? I thought we left that shit back in 2016. We bring up the same thing every week because some of y'all just don't get it. I'm tired. My homegirls are tired. So, I'm going for the jugular. I will berate your books. I will beat them like meat. I will share these reviews, WE will share these reviews and sit back to watch your books' votes and views suffer.
Y'all gon learn today.

╒◖════════════════════════════◗╕

Review of "No Escape" by @moonwalker_5809

1. Characters and their development:

Let's start with Michael's portrayal in this book. Appalling. Atrocious. Deplorable. Revolting. If I remember correctly, he's a 29 year old criminal who kidnaps, rapes, and murders women from the ages of 16 to 20-something. He's a hyper-sexual sociopath (who's also bipolar every now and then) for the most part of the book.

As if it were even remotely possible for a bipolar sociopath, he develops feelings for the underaged girl he's kidnapped, beaten, and raped (literally in the second chapter)... Baby, what is disss? The math ain't mathin' but we'll talk about that later. Not one good thing can be said about his portrayal. His character development is inaccurate but predictable and he's basically made to be a monster, a Ted Bundy meets Italian Mob Guy meets Scary Black Dude caricature. The mess of it all and we've only just begun ...

Now to the main character. Our female protagonist: Elizabeth Tyller. She's 17, not 16, which I guess is supposed to make us feel better? It's still less than 18 and even that would be pushing it considering Michael's age in the book (remember: he's pushing 30).

The girl came off as the dumb and loud girl who tries to defy her kidnapper. She'd get bashed in the comments a lot (cuz they some weirdos) like it was her fault that she had to fight for her freedom. The commenters on Wattpad, chile... don't they do the most sometimes?

Eventually, as I expected, she falls in love with him, which is literally her developing Stockholm Syndrome but okay. The research for that clearly wasn't there, just like it wasn't there for Michael's sociopathy and/or bipolarity. If you're gonna makes these kinds of books, I don't know, maybe do the research? The research is important and helps to subtly explain why the protagonist "falls in love" with her captor; it lets people know it isn't love.

The worst part of homegirl's development is how she goes from sweet innocent victim to Badass Harley Quinn 2.0. Again, how predictable. And two, how inaccurate. It literally happens overnight; one moment she's getting raped and the next she's willingly initiating sex with the man who raped her out of pleasure. If 2+2 is 4 ... and 5+5 is 10 ... then wtf is this? Insanity.

Any and all other characters were minor and poorly developed. There were some half-ass parents and mob heads who worshipped Michael. Whatever.

2. Plot(s) and subplots:

This plot is overplayed, entirely. It's predictable and I've seen it too much, but that ain't even the issue. Not only have I read this story many times before on and outside of Wattpad, it's not a good plot if you're sending the wrong message. It can be great if you portray the man who inflicts abuse as a man who inflicts abuse, thus, someone who should not be admired. It's great if you can explain that the female protagonist is experiencing trauma and does certain things to survive and is not falling in love, but rather she's developing Stockholm.