Chapter Nineteen: The Warning

I leave the changing room, extremely uncomfortable with what I see in the floor length mirror in front of me.

I was given a skin tight blue dress. It's strapless and ends just below my knee. That makes that, on top of the obnoxiously low neckline, my curves are very visible. No, I'm not a particularly busty woman. However, years of killing people has made me very muscular. They're more rock solid than curves although, in this abomination of a dress, I have to say that I look much more attractive than normal.

Sierra lets out a small coo. "You look gorgeous."

My eyes flick to her silently, no acknowledgement of her words indicated anywhere on my body.

I haven't spoken for four hours.

We look at each other briefly before she lets out a small squeak and steps forward, taking her arms out from her sides. "I almost forgot the critical part!"

She's holding a flower crown made of white roses.

I clench my fists before quickly relaxing them and allowing her to place the rose crown in between the two tiny braids that my hair was forced into. The sickly sweet scent of the flowers fills my nostrils instantly. The gall of Snow, to not only shove me into a dress that he knows I would hate to wear but also to put his symbol on me. I - I can't believe this.

The burning fury in my mind increased, threatening to blow over. I force myself to stay cool, however. This is not the time or place to show my feelings.

"Perfect! Now, your interview starts in ten minutes." Sierra steps backwards, giving me a friendly grin.

I don't return it. I do, however, silently follow her out of the room, the black stiletto heels that I was forced to wear clacking on the floor.

|||

"You look gorgeous!" Orange squeals, bouncing over to me as soon as I enter the waiting room with Sierra. She stops right in front of me, her eyes running up and down my figure. "Excited for your interview?"

It takes me a moment to respond, easily modeling my appearance into an acceptable mask for her.

"Thrilled." I send her an easy smile. And it's not acting; I'm truly happy. After this interview, I'll never have to be in the public eye again. "Nice to see you again."

Her features soften in pity. "And you as well. I'm truly sorry for what you had to go through-"

I let out a small chuckle. "It's not your fault, love."

"Still, to watch what you had to do - and with James." Instantly, her eyes fill with tears. "I cried with you."

I quench the grief that blossoms from the depths of my mind at the sound of his name, not letting the smile leave my face. My voice, however, tightens. "Yeah. He was a good kid."

She lets out a strangled sigh, stepping back from me. That's exactly what she wanted to hear.

My eyes travel around the room, the fake smile instantly slipping off of my face.

I catch the eyes of Mags. She gives me a small nod. Her eyes are saddened and weighed down with understanding. Next to her is Finnick. When I look at him, I'm a little surprised at my inability to read his face. I can't tell if it's pity or pride or - well, I don't really know. He opens his mouth to speak to me. "W-"

"Miss Shields, please follow me." Whatever Finnick wanted to say is cut off as someone touches my arm briefly.

I force myself to hold back a flinch at the sudden human contact and turn, following the person - a strangely small man - away from the group. He leads me towards the entrance to what must be the stage, a black curtain.