chapter fourteen - another journey

The journey between Rome and Athens was a rather eventful one

The journey between Rome and Athens was a rather eventful one. Augustus took every opportunity to rile up his new "best friend" and, thanks to the tight quarters in which the quartet now found themselves, this was not a particularly difficult task.

After reading through Benedict's letter several times, Diana spent the first week of their journey trying to analyse it's contents and frequently question her cousin about what he could mean.

The last paragraph in particular seemed to have a constant presence in her mind.

"Do you think the Prince will return to England next summer?" She inquired.

"What significance is it to you?" Teased Augustus, "I thought you said you did not care for him?"

Diana rolled her eyes, "I did not ask you."

"Really? I do not recall you addressing the question to anyone in particular. Therefore-"

At this he was deftly cut off by Theodore.

"Stop it! Both of you. Your behaviour is getting ridiculous! Surely it is not so very hard to simply get along. Oh perhaps, Diana, your issue is not with Augustus but with me and my preferences."

He knew it was a low blow, and that the suggestion held no factual basis. Diana was far too kind to ever be opposed to such matters, but he merely wanted to halt their bickering. And this seemed an ideal way to do so.

Diana, however, was internally outraged (though at whom she could not say). Surely he did not think her to dislike Augustus purely because they were both men?

At last she resolved to treat her cousin's companion with more respect.

Thankfully, when they reached the eastern coast of Italy she found it significsntly easier to let their feuding ways die down, as their mode of transport moved from carriage to an extraordinarily large ship.

The ship provided enough room for the two to rarely come into contact and Diana felt herself finally free of his annoying antics.

However, much as she disliked to admit it, as the journey by ship progressed she found herself missing his idiotic behaviour. For sure, it was annoying and childish and reprehensible. But she had grown used to it.

So, when the two were finally forced back into each other's company for the carriage journey between the port and Athens, Diana was secretly happy to be able to converse with him again without having to have openly admitted the fact.

They had been discussing their favourite desserts - Augustus insisted that spotted dick was the only acceptable answer.

'Of course,' thought Diana, 'he would make such a vulgar joke over a perfectly delectable dish.'

But by far the highlight of their carriage journey to Athens was when Augustus declared to her that they would all be staying at the palace instead of at the Hotel Olympos as they had initially planned.

"What?!" She screeched in response to the insane suggestion.

Augustus had to withhold a chuckle that threatened to escape at her reaction.

"Indeed, the Prince and I are old friends - if you know what I mean - and he was more than happy to accept us as his guests during our stay in Athens. So you see, I am not so very bad after all." The smirk on his face grew steadily wider as Diana's shock grew.

Theodore had to look out the carriage window and pretend to admire the view in order to prevent himself from acting in an ungentlemanly manner.

There was something about Augustus' smirk that really made him loose control.

Diana sat in silence for the remainder of the short journey to the palace. Her nerves were now steadily building.

The journey ended far too quickly and she was suddenly expected to descend from the carriage and greet her hosts. Something she desperately wished to avoid.

For in Diana Bridgerton had learnt anything over the past few months it was that her and royalty rarely went hand in hand.

Every meeting she had had with the Queen had resulted in some kind if embarrassment and well, as for Prince Friedrich... she had mostly blocked him from her mind.

So it was with a deep intake of breath that Diana slowly made her way from the carriage and stepped out onto the palace courtyard.

She found its beauty breathtaking. The sun beamed down heat upon the country - a different kind to that in Rome - and made everything gleam with radiance.

The courtyard itself was a soft yellow colour and she felt in absolute awe at her surroundings. Indeed, the Bridgerton girl could have stayed there all day, taking in the beauty of Greece, but instead she was broken from her reverie by a tall, brown haired and olive skinned young man of approximately one and twenty.

He coughed quietly to alert her to his presence. The sound did exactly that, and Diana suddenly became all too aware of how silly she must have looked, standing there with her mouth hung open.

However, what beauty she had found within the palace's architecture was promptly thrown out of the window when she caught the gaze of the young man. His deep brown eyes held a softness to them, but also a hint of danger. He was astonishingly attractive and Diana, in all honesty, feared she might end up swooning.

Were all princes so attractive? Considering the two she had met so far in her life, the Bridgerton was beginning to presume it was a requirement.

Taking her hand, the Prince placed a gentle kiss upon it before standing up again.

"Prince Hektor of Greece, my lady. And this is my sister, Princess Hestia. I am so glad you could join us for your stay here in Athens, for I should like to get to know you Miss."

'Oh god,' Diana thought, 'even his voice is attractive.'

****

My dearest readers,

It would seem the Miss Diana Bridgerton has caught the eye of yet  another prince! I wonder what Friedrich will think when he hears the news.

My condolences for not having updated sooner - I have been ever so busy recently.

Yours truly

Valentina