Life in the Flames-10

Chapter 10

Like a Budding Flower

What have I done? I just said yes to Reid, but what about Burke? 

He stood close to me and smiled happily at my response. His red eyes glinted in the silver moonlight. Reid looked up at the moon and said, "Ah, it is getting late, and tomorrow is going to be a long day. Would you like me to help you back to your room?" he asked offering me his strong arm. 

I looked at his face, and then his arm, and back up to his face once more as I pondered his question in my head. Sure, I had no idea where my room was, but what would people think if they saw us together? That doesn't matter, the small voice in my head said, people will see the two of you together tomorrow. 

So I gingerly wrapped my arm through his, and instantly could feel his warmth through my sleeve.

My insides screamed at me to let go. It felt so wrong but at the same time it felt so right to be in his grasp. 

I tried my hardest not to react, but the smallest of smiles escaped my control.

Reid chuckled and kept on smiling when he glanced down at me, "Still aren't used to it are you?" 

"Used to what?" I asked as we started entering the flowered part of the garden, and the wonderful, fresh smells hitting me like a wall. 

"To everything: the palace, the people, the customs, the clothes, food, and myself. I can tell how my fire skills affect you," he said with a tone of sadness poking through is voice. 

"Yes, this is all very new to me. It is a very large change from my life with the tribe," I said. Then the devastating scene played over inside my head and I couldn't keep the tears back. 

When the first tear slid down my cheek Reid stopped, and wiped it softly from my cheek with his warm hand. He placed one of his hands on my shoulder and with the other he lifted my head so I looked straight into his eyes. 

"Alonia, I could never say I know how you feel because I don't. I also believe I could never say anything to make you feel better, but I am sorry. I am sorry for everything that has happened to you, everything," he said with sincerity behind each word.

My gaze was stuck in his mesmerizing eyes as I searched for the right words, "So much has happened the past few days. I just hope it gets better." 

"Alonia I promise it will. With all the power I have, I will make sure it will," he said as he wiped yet another tear from my face. "I hope no more of your tears will fall, but if they do I am here to wipe them away for you." 

My entire body was at war with itself. My instincts were telling me to run, my head was telling me to stay emotionless, but my heart said to stay, to let him see who I really was. 

I also found that the heat pulsating from Reid's body wasn't overpowering but comforting. So badly did I want to just let everything out, but I couldn't. 

"Thank you Reid," was all that I could say. 

"It's the least I can do," he said with the dazzling smile of his. 

"Reid, can I ask you something?" 

"Anything." 

I finally broke myself from his gaze and knelt down to stroke a velvet soft flower petal. "Have you ever really thought of how destructive fire really is? One little flame can cause an entire forest or town to burn to the ground."

He sighed and knelt down beside me as I continued, "Water on the other hand can give life while fire takes it away." 

"Alonia, have you ever seen a forest after a forest fire? New life springs forth from the ashes. Fire isn't just used for destruction but for renewal; to wipe away the bad and make room for the new."