Part 17

The dress looks phenomenal.

It emphasises the difference between her hips and waist, something that she'd usually avoid, but she's embracing for once.

She slicks some more red lipstick on, fluffing her hair and straightening up.

"Ooh, you look cute. Date?" A woman she recognises from advertising asks with a grin.

"Yep. Do you think it's okay?" Conrad checks, doing a twirl in the mirror.

"If you have any jewellery, I think it would make a big difference," the woman suggests, glancing at her watch, "good luck!"

Once the door closes, Conrad reaches into her bag, digging along the bottom.

She manages to lay her fingers on a set of earrings, quickly putting them into her lobes after taking her boring studs out.

Her tattoos peek out from the halterneck of the dress, her back mostly exposed.

She inhales slowly, calming her nerves before she walks out of the bathroom.

She didn't think it would feel this real; when she suggested it, she didn't actually think he would agree to go.

She walks out of the bathroom, her heels annoying her slightly.

Jane pushes her way into her mind.

I've got this. I'll take the pain, her wolf encourages.

She didn't expect Jane to be onboard with the idea of a date with someone else other than her mate, but here she is.

Jane's hibernation must have involved some self-reflection and ponderings because her wolf doesn't seem to want to go back to Atlas anymore.

Her phone beeps, and she glances at it, furrowing her brows.

It's from Dr Miller.

She clicks into the message, raising her eyebrows slowly as she reads it.

'Hey, Conrad. I heard about your mate and just wanted to let you know that I'm always here to talk. Myself and my mate rejected each other, so I understand the hurt and pain that goes along with it. Here if you need me, J.'

Why is he texting? Is it swarm Conrad day? Why are so many guys interested now, Jane complains, and Conrad hushes her.

Enjoy the attention while it lasts, we'll be old, wrinkly, and lonely before you notice, Conrad snorts.

She walks into her office, biting her lip as she considers how to respond.

'Thanks. I really appreciate it; I'm just keeping as busy as possible at the moment. I'll see you when I get back to the pack, C.'

She doesn't usually sign off on her texts, but he did, so it makes her feel a little awkward not to.

She pops her phone into her handbag, sliding her blazer on over the dress.

It matches her lipstick and shoes, so she's okay with it.

She organises her stuff, making sure to take her laptop and hotel keycard so she can definitely get into her room for the night.

Staring into the small mirror in the office, she peers at her eye makeup, deeming it acceptable before she hurries downstairs.

She has twenty minutes to get to the restaurant, and she isn't confident that she'll make it with the traffic.

She doesn't even have his number to let him know, so she secretly crosses her fingers while hailing a taxi.

"La Chartreuse," she simply says, closing the door and strapping herself in.