Chapter Eight: The Sanctuary

Chapter Eight: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖞.
word count; 5.9k

"So, we're basically running off a band of raiders for lunch money?"

Once Mando had added a new recruitment to the crew—Cara Dune—your group had set off in Sorganese men's hovercarts towards the village they'd promised to take you.It was completely dark now that the sun had set down under the horizon. The bright, luminescent moon illuminating the sky overhead provided some lighting to the dark forest. Other than that, the villager men brought a warm lamp, presenting a bit more visibility as you traveled.

You were seated right besides Mando... and you weren't certain whether you liked that fact or not. Due to the limited space in the cart—what with all of Mando's belongings—your shoulder was brushing against the cold and firm beskar pauldron adorning Mando's shoulder. The Child lay between you two, with his head resting on your lap as he gazed up at the stars up ahead, on the verge of falling asleep again. Cara Dune was settled across the three of you, as everyone indulged in a conversation.

"They're quartering us in the middle of nowhere," Mando explained, his modulated voice loud and clear through the silence of the night. "Last I checked, that's a pretty square deal for somebody in your position."

"Yeah, and besides, if this little village really does prove to be as safe and isolated as they told us, we'll leave the kid there," you added, in hopes of that somewhat convincing her. "Mando and I will leave, and soon enough we'll be out of your way."

"And the worst case scenario—you tune up your blaster," Mando voiced with a nod of agreement. "Best case, we're a deterrent. I can't imagine there's anything in these trees than an ex-shock-trooper couldn't handle."

When Cara remained quiet, you took that as a sign that she'd been convinced—as well as her totally convinced facial expression. One more pair of combatant hands added to the crew.

You felt Mando beginning to shift from beside you, seemingly attempting to find a comfortable spot on his seat. He'd leaned his entire body back onto the edge of the hovercart, before extending an arm and placing it just behind your back—

What?!

Oh, no, you hated this. You hated how his gloved hand brushed against your shoulder so softly you'd nearly failed to realize it was there, hated how comfortable this was, how safe you felt besides him, how you didn't even bother to move, and most important of all... you hated how a warmth crept onto your face, your cheeks undoubtedly tinted various shades of pink and red—

And— hold on... Were you really blushing for Mando, of all people?

Oh, come on! Of course you weren't. You simply weren't the type to get flustered... and you'd rarely ever blush for a man, not unless he was like... extremely hot, or something?