Epilogue

"Ah, not yet," Sirius whispers as he gently stops a little EH.

I am sitting on a rock near them while they stalk a rabbit behind some bushes.

"Right. I must wait for its gaze to drop," my little son whispers enthusiastically.

He is perfect. He looks like me, but he has all the features of an EH, with beautiful green eyes like his father's.

"You see?" Sirius tells him. "If you fail now, don't worry. It will go to the lake, and you can chase it. Remember, always downwind. Can you feel it?"

My little one looks up at the sky and closes his eyes, feeling the breeze blow against him. He looks back at the animal, entirely focused; he will hunt down the rabbit. He is a fearsome little two-year-old predator with the human charisma and the strength and cunning of an EH.

He advances slowly without causing any noise, going to meet the poor animal. He squats a foot away and jumps. The rabbit manages to escape from its tiny claws and begins the chase towards the lake.

He is out of sight a bit, but Sirius is on the lookout for his scent. He approaches me with a beautiful smile.

"Well, if we're lucky, we could eat rabbit later too," he says, feeling proud.

"Sure. I should have guessed you would teach him to hunt rabbit, one of your favorites," I murmur as I wrap my arms around his neck.

He presses me against his body, keeping his mischievous smile.

"You like it too, I know... Since I had to go out at two in the morning to hunt one because you were craving it."

My husband never wavered when I asked him for something, much less while pregnant. He is also an excellent cooker when it comes to meat, lucky for me since my cravings revolved around that.

"I'll eat without complaining if you promise to let me eat you at night," I whisper barely.

He kisses me, and I return it with all the love that floods me for him.

It took us a couple of tries, but we finally succeeded. I was scared when I told Sirius about my pregnancy, but he was too happy and helped clear my fears. He had faith that everything would work out, and he asked me to focus on that, and I did so.

Our little one is the first of his kind. Marcus deduced that the evolved's genes were dominant over those of the human, so if one day they all intersect, the human characteristics will remain in the past to give way to the new: evolved humans, more perfect. The beginning of a new age.

"Whoops! I didn't see anything," exclaims my son.

We turn to see. He holds the rabbit in one hand while he covers his eyes with the other. I smile and move closer to him.

"Easy, you know..."

"No word of this to my friends," he completes.

I have decided to live with Sirius in his city, in a lovely country house, connected with nature, as it should have always been. I don't want my son to grow up close to human vices and perversions.

The little boy starts to kiss my face, and I can't help but laugh.

"Dad says that I can give you kisses," he announces happily.

"Of course."

I kiss his forehead and hug him tight.

"Ready? Come on, Leo," my husband says as he takes his hand.

The constellation Leo. A name both human and evolved.

Without any difficulty, he picks him up off the ground, sits him on his shoulders, and takes my hand gently to go home.