Chapter 9-Goodbye (for now)

The last day of the camp.
We were only playing four sets on the last day. None of them against the boy's Karasuno team. We played the girls first, and we won 19-25. That was the strongest game they played against us.
We then played Obigawa, who lost to us 17-25, so it was a good win.
After that, we played Nekoma for the last time, which was bittersweet, because we LOST. But it was also nice to see Lev to finally get some solid receives down. Today was an easy punishment, a flying lap around the gym. I was never winded with flying laps, I love diving on the floor.
Love is a strong word. I am totally comfortable with diving on the floor.
Fukurodani was our third set of the day, and that one was a real nail biter. The points went into the thirties, finally ending in a loss, 31-33.
We were pissed, and it didn't help that Bokuto wouldn't stop cheering.
Our last set of the day was against Shinzen, and that was an easy win as well, with the ending score being 25-17.
The coaches called us all out of the gym for a 'special treat'. I didn't really feel like doing anything until I saw it was a freaking BBQ.
I practically drooled at the sight of all that meat.
Every team got their own table, and got to socialize with all the other teams. I had like three whole steaks on my plate as I sat on the very hill that we had to run up the few days before.
"(Y/N)!!" Bokuto yelled from across the yard. It was a beautiful day, the sky was blue, and it was like 70 degrees.
Bokuto ran toward me with his mouth full, and practically belly flopped onto the ground next to me.
I waited for him to chew and swallow.
"So how do you like how we beat you today?" He asked, all smug.
"We beat you most of the week, you know."
"Yeah, but today was the last day, so this one was the one that counts."He pumped his fists in the air as he continued to celebrate his victory over me.
"They all count."
"Hang on, I have to go get that Tsukki guy to eat his meat!" He growled and ran over to where Tsukkishima was sitting with Kuroo and Kenma, grabbing another steak on the way.
I looked around at all the joy and friendship that was going on and wondered how easily people can bond with others. So why couldn't I bond with my team?
I continued to wonder this by myself as I sat there alone on my hill, until I saw a circle of guys enclosing someone. They looked small and terrified: Yachi.
I ran over to Yachi's side. The poor thing must be scared to death.
"You guys, give her some space," I said as I shoved my way to the middle to get her out of there. She was pale and shaking.
"Come on," I whispered to her. "It's gonna be okay."
When the crowd dispersed, I calmed her down and got her some food. Some of the Karasuno boys came over to see if she was okay, including Hinata.
"I thought they were going to eat me," Yachi squeaked.
"Well they're not, at least not while I'm here." I said to her. "And just so you know, all these guys are big dorks. They'll kill each other before they even think about hurting you."
"I guess that does make me feel a little better," Yachi sighed and let out a breath.
"Wow, (Y/N)," Hinata sat next to me at the table. "It normally takes her forever to calm down. How do you do it so quickly?"
I shrugged. "I have a little brother at home. He has issues and my parents aren't normally around to deal with them because of work, so I deal with them. I like to think I've gotten pretty good at it."
"Oh, well you really are! Look at her, she's already smiling!"
Yachi was happily eating her food now.
"I'm glad," I smiled. "You okay now?" I asked her.
She nodded.
"Cool." I patted the table with my hands and went back to my spot on the hill. I sat there again for a bit, looking at the small clouds in the sky, until the Captains of the Shinzen and Obigawa teams walked over to me.
I didn't know their real names, but their nicknames were pretty well known, and hilarious. Shinzen was Broccoli Head and Obigawa was Fish Lips.
"Hey, you're (Y/N), right?" Broccoli Head asked. I nodded.
"We just wanted to say that we think you're cool." Fish Lips looked down sheepishly. "Bokuto told us about you, and we just think you're really cool for going through what you're going through."
I was pretty sure these guys just had a crush on me, and I was pissed that Bokuto said something. Nevertheless I thanked the two boys and they walked away shyly. That was nice of them I guess.
The sky was beginning to turn orange with the setting sun when Daichi came up to me later and sat down next to me.
"Hinata told me you were here by yourself, so I took the opportunity to talk to you."
"Creepy."
"No it's not like that," he chuckled. "I just wanted to personally welcome you. I've seen how quickly you bonded with my team this week. Any time you wanna come and practice, or if you're ever in the area, then call us up and we can put something together."
He handed me a slip of paper with his cell phone number. I smiled.
"Thanks, Daichi. I'll keep that in mind."
He nodded and went to sit at a table with the third years on his team.

That evening, all the teams said goodbye to each other. I mostly stuck to myself, until Hinata bounced to me after saying goodbye to the Nekoma setter.
"Hey, (Y/N)! I'll be working on my attacks so that next time we meet, I will get past you more than once."
"I'd like to see you try shortie," I smiled and held out my fist so he could bump it. He did so enthusiastically and then hopped back to his team. I waved my goodbyes to Tadashi and Daichi, and yelled goodbye when Nishinoya did.
My team took the bus back to our own school and I walked home from there. Along the way, I stopped by my brother's favorite bakery and bought a couple cookies for him and I to share.
As my house came into sight, I saw the cars in the driveway and was immediately overcome with joy. I sprinted to the house and burst in the door.
"Mom, Dad! You're home!" I hugged my mom and step dad as hard as I could. They were making us dinner. I mentally breathed a sigh of relief at the fact that I wouldn't have to make it myself.
"Yeah, (Y/N)," my mom said, smiling. "We're home, and we have some news for you and your brother. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes."