― chapter 14.

❝ it makes it a lot easier for me to see the look on your face when you lose

❝ it makes it a lot easier for me to see the look on your face when you lose. ❞

AT SIX O'CLOCK SHARP, Ayane was waiting for Miguel outside of the strip.

She and Mr. LaRusso had had an interesting talk earlier, one that was making Ayane feel conflicted about Miguel.

While she liked Miguel, a lot, Ayane was afraid that was going to get in the way of her winning the All Valley.

Miguel got in the back of the Uber with Ayane, sweating.

"Looks like you put in some work today," she commented, smiling up at him.

"Don't I always?" He retorted, buckling his seatbelt. "So are you gonna tell me where we're going-"

"Nope." Ayane exchanged a look with Miguel, smirking.

He rolled his eyes playfully, shaking his head. "Touché, Miss Cain."

When they were about to be at the location, Ayane covered his eyes.

"Don't peek or I'll kick you," she said, removing her hands to open the door. She took Miguel's hand and led him out, making sure his eyes were still closed.

Miguel sighed. "I feel like you're going to throw a pie at my face or something."

She snorted. "No, but thanks for the idea. Come on, let's walk."

He followed her along, Ayane continuing to check that his eyes were still closed.

"Wait," he suddenly said, "I smell popcorn. And funnel cake."

Ayane poked his rib cage, making Miguel jump.

"Okay, I guess you can open your eyes." He did, and saw that they were at a carnival.

Miguel looked down at her with a wide smile.

"I've never been on a roller coaster," Ayane said whilst paying for arm bands, "so I figured today could be the day I do that."

He looked up at the rides, then grabbed her hand. "I know just the one."

Ayane was a tad bit fearful, she had to admit. Roller coasters seemed like a rush, but a terrifying one. She was no adrenaline junky, so she hoped she liked it.