Chapter 1

Ava POV

We went on a weekend trip to Montauk. We visited the lighthouse and we were camping there at Hither Hills State Park. It is close to the ocean and one can hear the waves crashing from the campsite. There were many other families also. The sunrise at the beach was my favorite. I had so much fun. Now we are going back home. I was singing along and laughing with my mom and dad. We all were happy.

"Did you enjoy the trip Ava?", my mom asked.

"Yes mom, I had so much fun. We should go there some time again", I said smiling.

Suddenly a truck hit our car and our car rolled over a few times. I felt like everything was going in slow motion. Then the car stopped rolling. My leg and head were hurting and I had a few more little injuries. I didn't understand what just happened. Our car was all shattered. There was blood everywhere. I looked over slowly towards my mom. I called her but she wasn't moving. And at that moment I knew she was dead.

Then I heard my dad talking to me. I turned towards him. He was hurt badly and barely able to speak.

"I love you, Ava. I don't think I have much time left so listen to me carefully"

"No dad, please don't say that and I love you too"

"Ava dear, just remember no matter what happens, don't give up. Take good care of yourself and always be happy. And also achieve your dreams"

I was just shaking my head no. I can't take it anymore. My mom is already dead and now my dad is also dying but I didn't want him to. I was just 13. One minute we were all happy together and the next moment my whole world came crashing down.

"Can you promise me that", he asked. I was still shaking my head no. "Please Ava", he said

"I promise", I replied with a heavy heart.

"We both love you and we will always be watching you up from there", he told me.

Then he died. I tried to move but my leg was stuck. I was just lying there crying looking at my parents. I tried to move but my leg was stuck. This just can't be happening. I close my eyes hard thinking that it's just a bad dream and I will wake up from it. But when I open my eyes, I am still stuck in the shattered car. I just kept staring blankly thinking why did this happen. After sometime darkness welcomed me.

I woke up to a beeping sound. I was in the hospital. It took me some time to adjust to the lights. My grandmother was sitting beside me in the chair. I tried to talk but my throat felt dry and hoarse. My head was hurting.

"Here, drink some water", my grandma gave me a glass of water. I drank the water and felt a bit better.

"Better?", she asked

"Yes", I replied

"You were unconscious for two days. I was so scared. I already lost my son and daughter-in-law", she told me crying.

Everything that happened came rushing back and I couldn't hold my tears. I held her and cried.

"I am not going to tell you, that everything is going to be fine. You have lost your parents whom you loved the most. Take your time. You have the right to grieve. We are going to get through it one day at a time. I know I can never replace your parents but I will always be there for you. Do you understand"? I nodded my head still holding her and crying.

The doctor came and checked me up.

"Do you remember your name?", he asked

"Ava", I replied

"Ok Ava, do you remember what happened before you passed out?"

"Yes, I was in an accident with my parents". My grandmother came near me and held my hand.

He asked me some more questions since I hit my head. He wanted to check if I had a concussion. I answered all the questions. I had a fractured leg. He told me it will take some time to heal. I fell asleep after some time due to the medication.

I was discharged the next day and went home with my grandmother. Everywhere in the house, there are memories filled with them. I couldn't take it anymore. I quickly went to the room and shut the door. I sat on the chair, looking at the picture on my table, and cried.

A funeral was held for my parents and it was like a final goodbye. I am never going to see them again. It hurt so much. I revisited that accident in my dreams daily and I couldn't sleep properly after that. Every day it was the same nightmare and I woke up all sweaty.

My grandmother took good care of me. She was a good person and fun to be around with. She never stopped me from doing anything. Slowly it became a bit better. I can't imagine how I would have dealt with my parents' death if she wasn't there. She was the only family I had left. And I am thankful for that every day.

I studied hard to keep the promise I made to my dad. I was always good at studies and so I managed to get good grades. We were not super rich but rich enough. And my parents had saved enough money so I don't have to worry about my studies or any other expenses.