Chapter 67: There Are No Winners Here

Katya rolled her eyes for the millionth time that day, her arms crossed over her chest as she leaned against the wall of the seating area. It used to be a place of relaxation, but now the mood was infuriating, testing the very limits of her patience.

Normally, she could handle loud conversations, people talking over each other and arguing about stuff, but the topic had her angry as it was and to combine that with a tired mind and stressed body resulted in shaking hands and a clenched jaw.

Rhodey, like expected, was completely on Ross' side, going on and on about taking responsibility for their actions, being limited in their power and oversight by the government. Katya understood his choice. He was a military man by heart and understood what it meant dealing with great power. 

But what she didn't appreciate was the yelling with Sam. Both man stood with their muscles rigid behind a very calm Steve, who read through the Accords as one of the only ones. His concerned frown was back on his face. It was almost permanent by now.

''Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have.'' Rhodey's voice was strained. He had trouble keeping it calm and collected, which was displayed by his excessive hand gestures. Katya's body language analyses would come in handy today. She knew people's choices before they knew it themselves. 

''So let's say we agree to this thing,'' Sam countered, crossing his arms. ''How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?''

Katya was glad Sam saw it the way she did. The Accords was the first step, but god knows what the second one would be. If they said yes to this, it would lead to more rules, more restrictions. If they took a stand and said: 'no, there is nothing for you to gain here', a line would be drawn. 

''A hundred and seventeen countries want to sign this. A hundred and seventeen, Sam, and you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it.''.''

''How long are you going to play both sides?''

''I have an equation,'' Vision interrupted before things turned more heated. Once again Katya felt the need to roll her eyes. He had been silent the whole time and now suddenly had something to say. Katya had been outspoken from the beginning, which didn't earn her bonus points from her opponents. 

Sam nodded sarcastically. ''Oh, this will clear it up.'' Even Steve stopped flipping through the pages and glanced at Vision to hear his ''equation''.

''In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate.''

Steve raised an eyebrow, almost offended. ''Are you saying it's our fault?''

''I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand.''

Wanda, next to him on the couch, listened to his explanation attentively. She was still undecided, Katya saw. She may have been on her side if Lagos hadn't happened, but the guilt was still eating at her heart, which influenced her objective opinion on the subject. Not that Katya's thinking was very objective. 

Rhodey turned to Sam. ''Boom.''

Katya scoffed, narrowing her eyes at the back of Vision's head. ''That makes zero sense.''

''Katya-'' Rhodey tried to interrupt her. Either to tell her to take it down a notch or to come with another argument. But she shot him a look that shut him up quickly. People had spoken for her all her life, now she would speak for herself.