Chapter 12:: The Fault in Our Universe

Chapter 12// The Fault in Our Universe

I arrive at Jesse’s house the next morning with a smoothie and Jennifer’s usual coffee, alongside a smile on my face. Call me soppy, but these visits are actually some of the favourite parts of my day. Since Jesse and I have talked everything out, we’re a lot more comfortable around each other, and Jennifer gets sweeter and sweeter every time I see her. Jesse warned me yesterday that the physiotherapist is here again today- her name is Anne (if I remember correctly), and she’s visiting weekly from now on. She seems to be the only thing putting a damper on my mood right now, which sounds rude but in truth I’m just worried these workouts of hers will hurt Jennifer. As if she needs any more pain in her life, and most of it is my fault.

I ring the doorbell with my elbow this time, learning from my previous mistakes. It does mean that Jesse’s smoothie pours incredibly close to the edge of the cup, but if I press it quickly I can avoid being covered in the sticky orange liquid. Jesse emerges behind the clouded glass and swings open the door, yawning. Even when he’s only recently woken up, with mussed up hair and a tired face: he still looks adorable. Why is life so cruel? “Is she here?” I whisper to him, referring to Anne. He nods, and I pass him his smoothie silently as I make my way into the hallway.

“Why hello to you too,” He greets me sarcastically. I glance back at him and smile innocently, and he just rolls his eyes before looking down at the drink in his hands. “Oh, thanks for this by the way.”

“You’re welcome,” I reply breezily, pausing slightly so that he can catch up with me. We walk into the living room together, and we’re each struck with the same horrific sight at precisely the same time. It might be slightly more horrific for Jesse, seeing as it’s his mom, but still pretty scarring all the same. Jennifer is lying face down on a massage table, all skin revealed minus the towels covering her more private parts, with about a hundred needles jammed brutally into her back and legs.

“Oh sweet mother of Jesus,” Jesse curses, covering his eyes in angst. My eyes widen in shock and I automatically back out of the door, a little disturbed by what I’ve just seen. I feel like I’ve just intruded on a really intimate scene, and I press my face against the wall, closing my eyes to try and forget the oppressive sight of the acupuncture. Behind me, I hear Jesse staggering out, muttering embarrassed apologies at Anne, who’s chuckling quietly at our dramatics. “My eyes,” Jesse moans, “What the hell was that? Where has her cast gone?”

“Anne must have taken it off,” I wince, “Acupuncture targets pain relief points. She’s obviously trying to rid of some of Jennifer’s aches. Not quite sure how thousands of needles will do that though,” I grimace at the thought. I’ve never really understood the mechanics of acupuncture- I mean, surely the needles cause pain rather than release it? I don’t think I’d be up for it: I’d probably choose to carry on dealing with the pain, rather than undergo that kind of torture. Jesse walks into the kitchen, away from the sight, but I’m still holding Jennifer’s coffee in my hand. Biting my lip and squinting slightly, I make my way back into the torture chamber.

“Hi Jennifer,” I greet awkwardly, eyes skimming over the needles in her back. Her leg, now that the cast has been removed, I can see is covered in gradually fading bruises, and a thick musky incense is lingering in the air. Jennifer raises an arm and waves, without actually looking up from the floor. As Anne inserts another needle towards her shoulder blade, she sighs. “I’ve brought her some coffee, is that okay?” I ask Anne. In reply, she nods and smiles, and so I tiptoe my way around the edge of the room to where Jennifer’s head is situated. I place the coffee under the face part of the massage table, so that she can see it.

“Thank you, sweetie, you’re a lifesaver,” Jennifer sighs happily. “I should be done with this in about half an hour, I think. In the meantime, you could just hang out with Jesse. Anne says she might need some help for the swimming part of the therapy.” I gulp and hurry my way out of the room, back into the hall. Hopefully the swimming part won’t require any more needles in her back.