Chapter 22: So Much For a Vacation

"Did you by any chance see the sniper?" An LAPD officer questions me.

"No. But I know they came from that rooftop." I say and point to it. I shake my head and chuckle a bit. "The human brain can be so fragile. You shouldn't really trust eyewitness reports honestly. They're unreliable."

"Yes I know but it's my job." The officer says with a soft smile.

"Unless you're an android," I mutter to myself and look at Connor. "Connor!" I yell to him, gesturing for him to come over.

He comes over and looks at me in concern. "Is something wrong?"

I shake my head. "No, but you're an android so your memory gets saved for you to retrieve at any time. Did you by any chance catch a glimpse of the sniper?"

"No. I was looking for them but then you ran off, spotting the sniper before I could."

I frown. 'That doesn't help at all.'

The officer smiles at us. "Well thank you for your input."

I watch her walk off before looking back at Connor who is still watching her. I nudge him. "Stop being a creep."

Connor playfully glares at me and I smirk. We walk over to Dad who is having a conversation with another officer. They stop talking once they see us approaching and they smile at us.

"What's going on?" Connor asks.

"Lieutenant Pierce, this is my daughter (Y/n) and this is Connor." Dad introduces. "(Y/n), Connor, this is Lieutenant Pierce."

Connor and I just smile at the man. Lieutenant Pierce sticks his hand out for us to shake.

"Nice to meet you two. Hank here was just telling me you guys are from the DPD. You're a long way from home." The lieutenant says as he shakes mine and Connor's hands.

"We're on vacation," Connor says.

"Well, I'm hoping you don't mind but we could use extra hands on this case. Hank even agreed to it if you two are willing to."

I give Dad a 'really' look.

"What? You could've been shot for all I know. I want to find the son of a bitch." Dad defends himself.

I sigh and hang my head low. "So much for a vacation. I'm in." I say.

"Me too," Connor adds.

Lieutenant Pierce nods. "That's great. I heard a lot about you three on the news."

I smirk. "Yeah. We make a great team." Connor, Dad, and I share a look and smile.

"Well, I guess I should fill you in on the case then. This is the second murder that happened today." Pierce says.

"Second? Do you know if it's the same person?" Connor asks.

"We're not sure. We could see if ballistics can match the bullets from the two scenes."

Connor fumbles in his pocket and pulls out a bullet. "I found this on the roof the shooter was on. If I can see the other bullet from the other crime scene I can scan them to see if they match." Connor suggests.

Pierce nods. "I can take you back to the precinct once we're done here."

Connor nods and puts the bullet back in his pocket.

"So what happened at the first crime scene?" Dad then asks.

"First murder happened at a wedding. The groom was injured but the bride was killed."

"Jesus. They got that 'Till death do us part' thing quickly." Dad mutters.

"Did the bride have any ex-boyfriends that could've been jealous or maybe any enemies? Somebody that really had it out for her?" Connor questions.

Pierce shakes his head. "No. We questioned her ex-boyfriend but he said he couldn't take seeing her happy so he ran off crying before the shooting happened. He bumped into a 'wedding musician' but Luke said him and Cassie booked a DJ."

"I'm guessing Luke is the injured groom and Cassie is the deceased victim?" I ask and Pierce nods.

"The 'wedding musician' had a guitar case," Pierce adds.

"So what you're saying is that our shooter carries their rifle in a guitar case then," Connor says.

My eyes widen. "I bumped into a guy carrying a guitar case on my way up to the roof!" I say and they look at me.

"Did you get a good look at him?" Dad asks.

"Not really. I just remember he was Caucasian and had a buzz cut." I say.

"That's the same description the ex-boyfriend gave us," Pierce confirms.

I groan and facepalm. "Ugh! I feel so stupid now!"

Connor puts a reassuring arm around my shoulders and rubs my arm. "You didn't know. We'll find him."

"Is there anything else we should know?" Dad asks, looking at Pierce.

"A pastry napkin was found at the crime scene where the shooter could've been. It led us here and I had an officer and her partner question the owner of the food truck before he was shot."

"Where are they now?" Connor asks urgently.

"Follow me."

The three of us then follow Pierce until we get to the officer that was questioning me just a few minutes before.

"Detective Cooper and Knight," Pierce calls the two detectives in front of us. They turn around. "Hank, Connor, (Y/n) this is Detective Tasha Cooper and Joseph Knight. Cooper, Knight, they'll be working alongside us on this case. They're from the DPD. This is Lieutenant Anderson, his daughter (Y/n), and Connor."

Joseph whistles. "You're a long way from Detroit."

"Well, we're on vacation," I say.

"Whose our victim?" Pierce asks the two.

"Kyle Burns," Connor answers before the two can. We all look at him. "I may have scanned the victim..." He says in a small voice.

I see Tasha hold back a laugh out of the corner of my eyes.

"We questioned Kyle right before he was shot. Someone was looking for him this morning but he wasn't there. Guessing our killer went to the wedding instead and then came back later to kill Kyle." Joseph says.

"We can see if they used a credit card and try to trace it back to them," Dad suggests.

Tasha nods. "We already have people on it."

I look at the ground in thought and Connor and Dad notice my quietness.

"What you thinking?" Dad asks me.

"These murders...they seem premeditated," I say and look at all of them.

"Your point is...?" Dad says.

Connor picks up on what I'm suggesting and answers Dad for me.

"It means our killer has a list."

—ASE715