a farewell to kings

Not much changes for Hotch and Juliette in the week after the run. Juliette's back to herself on Monday, greeting Hotch at the crack of dawn with their favorite coffee. While Strauss' returned to work, she still completes most of her work from Hotch's office couch, helping him with his so that he has more time with Jack.

Two back-to-back cases lead them to Friday, and although they were solved quickly, the team's itching for a break. Fortunately, Hotch arranges for them to have Saturday off, and everyone immediately has plans. Spencer and Garcia are headed to a Comic Con, which he explains to Juliette on the jet ride back. Rossi has a cigar event, JJ is spending the day with Henry, Hotch is heading to the zoo with Jack and Jessica, and Morgan and Emily are viewing houses.

Speaking of whom, Morgan did apologize for his ring comment from when she first joined the team, as well as his insensitivity that Saturday. However, Juliette isn't quick to accept the apology when she knows he gossiped, because Garcia came to her between cases to ask why so much of her file is redacted.

Juliette decides to spend her day catching up on her own case files that have been neglected since she's been helping Aaron. Hotch was adamant that she take the day off, but Juliette knows that it's better for her than sitting at home alone all day.

So that's how her Saturday morning starts, picking up a large coffee at her usual spot before setting up shop on Hotch's office couch. She's barely been in the office for an hour before the normal rushing around in the building intensifies, and Anderson informs her of a hostage situation in a major DC bank.

She coordinates with Hotch to call the team to the scene as fast as possible, as they're taking point with Metro DC police. Juliette's the first of them to make it to the bank, briefed by JJ's husband, Will LaMontagne.

She learns that he and his partner were first on the scene, engaging in a shootout with two of the men. He shot one of them, but they managed to retreat back into the bank before backup arrived.

As Hotch and the rest of the team show up, they learn that this trio, known as the Face Cards, have conducted seven bank robberies in the past seven months, killing one person at each robbery. They hack the security cameras to turn off when they're not wearing their masks, made to look like the King, Queen, and Jack.

Just as Hotch is about to assign roles, Strauss arrives on the scene. "The Director ordered me to supervise your operation."

Hotch nods, but Juliette notices his posture stiffen. "We're about to open lines of communication."

"What about a tactical assault?"

"That's not a good idea, there are hostages in front of the doors and windows."

Strauss only nods, stepping away as her phone rings. "JJ, Reid, and Prentiss, look at past robberies. That's going to be our victimology. Morgan, strategize tactical options with MPD. Dave and Leroux, I want you to handle negotiations." Hotch orders.

As the group disperses, he motions for Juliette to step to the side with him. "The Director's going to want this over with as soon as possible, but I'm concerned the UnSubs won't react in the way they're expecting."

"I'll do my best to keep her off your ass, but I'm worried too much of this is over her head." Juliette says, trying not to get his hopes up.

"Thank you." Hotch nods, excusing himself to help Morgan.

Unfortunately, the UnSubs react to Rossi and Juliette as Hotch expected, demanding for a medic with the threat of killing more people. When the Director demands they send a medic in, Juliette has to step away. Higher-ups thinking they know what's best is how people get killed, and it's only the thought of getting this case over with that calms her down.