Chapter 16

They'd left for the expedition early in the morning

They'd left for the expedition early in the morning. Once again, their base outside Wall Maria had been destroyed. The rain had made it difficult to see, and Ang's warnings about entering the forest had been ignored by Commander Shadis. Still, upon his orders, she'd followed, not one to abandon her post. Now she could hear the bells ringing, the signal for the Garrison to open the gate for their return. She led Onyx through the tunnel behind Erwin, and tiredly slouched on her saddle.

The line stopped as an older woman came standing in front of her Commander. Ang could hear her wailing for the loss of her son, and she couldn't help the frown that crossed her face as Shadis screamed that the failed mission had been his fault.

A tap on her shoulder brought her attention to her left, and she held her head up to see Erwin pointing off to the right. She turned around to see two familiar young faces. Ang brought both hands up to her mouth before she blew a kiss to Eren and Mikasa.

"I'll come by and see you later." Ang called to them. Eren smiled wider and waved at her as the line of soldiers kept moving.

"What a waste. It's like our taxes all go to fatten them up." A bystander spoke up with his arms crossed. Eren grabbed a stick from his pack supply before swinging at the man who spoke ill of the Scout Regiment. The man groaned and turned around with an angry look on his face. "What are you doing, stupid brat?" Eren made to swing at him again before a hand grabbed the back of his shirt and dragged him down the alley.

"Oi! What are you doing, Mikasa?" He yelled, as he tried to stay on his feet. Mikasa only dragged him further away from the commotion of the marketplace. "Mikasa! You can let go now." And she did let go. She swung him forward and into the brick wall, the firewood spilling everywhere, and Eren fell the ground with a groan.

"Eren, do you still want to join the Scout Regiment?" She simply asked.

"Help me pick these up." He grumbled reaching around for his portion of firewood. They arrived home sometime later. His mother was in the kitchen while his father packed his briefcase at the table.

"Welcome home." Carla called. Eren unloaded the firewood and his mother came to stand next to him. "Eren. You actually worked hard for a change."

"Yea." He ducked his head away from his mother. Carla reached down and pulled at his ear.

"Your ears turned red. That means you're lying." Carla smirked down at her son. "Mikasa helped you, didn't she?" The family of four sat down to eat lunch.

"Are you going somewhere dad?" Eren asked. "Work?"

"I'm going inland to see patients. Probably for two or three days." His father responded. There was silence for a moment before Mikasa spoke up from her seat at the table.

"Eren wants to join the Survey Corps."

"Mikasa! I told you not to tell them!" Eren slammed his hands down on the table.