One

"This doesn't make sense"

A huff escaped my lips as I reached for the red highlighter pen and dragged it across the equation that I didn't understand. The 12th equation I don't understand.

I slammed shut my Maths book. When will life stop being all about studying and finally about doing what I love. I'm tired of sitting here drowning in endless amounts of hardbacks- I want to live.

But, that includes stepping out of the comfort zone. No.

Already defeated, I got up from my bed and went to reach for my Maths book when 5 signature, Frozen-like knocks came from the window. I cleared my windowseat and opened the window.

"Hello"

"Ssup Lia" he said coolly, leaning on the frame of my window. "What where you doing?"

"Studying Maths, something you should be getting on with, Ross" I avoided all kinds of eye contact. "And it's Amelia"

"I know your name, and I don't think so" he laughed.

He is nice to me.

Like all best friends are to each other. He's chill, cool and easygoing whilst I'm shy, a perfectionist and good. I care too much, he is carefree.

Ross is all about living, being out, seeing the world. He's a free spirit and nobody could tie him down if they tried; not even his parents.

To me, it's beautiful, to others it's rebellious.

He's one of the wisest people I know, and also the best for advice.

My best friend isn't like the regular popular guys who act like jerks with their friends and are heartless. He never changes, just the way he never seems to leave his beat up Converse, ditch the faint smell of smoke or his kind heart. His everything I need.

And everything I can't have.

Just because he isn't a usual popular guy, it doesn't mean he doesn't make girls swoon with a simple smile.

Today there was something strange about him. He was glowing but seemed slightly distressed nonetheless. His signature smell of cologne and a faint hint of the ocean invaded my nose as he inched closer and away from the edge of the roof.

"It's not like it's in you to study anyways" I shook my head.

"Exactly" he nodded. "You look upset"

"Frustrated for obvious reasons" I threw the book on the ground. "But this visit? I literally saw you 4 hours ago"

"But still, I needed to ask you something- thank you" he stepped inside and sat on my windosweat, already holding my zebra stuffed toy called Stripes (I was 8 years old). "I come with an invitation"

"No"

He looked startled. "I haven't said anything yet Amelia!- actually wait"

"It's going to be a party, I know it" I crossed my arms as he grabbed his camera. He never ever went anywhere without it. He could make a movie out of all of these clips and many sequels. "Ross put the camera away I look awful"

"It isn't any sort of social gathering- only you and I & shut up, with this sunset light filtering in on your eyes and the breeze; you look amazing"

"Thank you, now speak"

"Would you go on a road trip with me?...Whoa whoa! What?! Stop hitting me with the damn cushion and answer me Amelia"

"I thought you were going to say something else like you're going to die or something"

"What no! But still, you in?"

"I don't know, when do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning- We'll need good music, rollerblades- don't ask, clothes, snacks, money, eye masks to sleep, chargers, pillows or cushions, blankets, sunglasses, your Polaroid-"

"Ross, Ross. In what universe do you think my parents would let me go around the country on my own, with you?!"

"Who says they have to know? Please Amelia"

"I-I don't know"

"If it was the other way I would already be in your car"

"I-"

"Well, if you change your mind, I made a list of things we'd need and what time I leave. If I don't see you tomorrow then, I'll see you around"

He turned off the camera and came forward to give me a hug, almost as if he was saying farewell. I clung onto his leather jacket tightly, inhaling his familiar scent. He left a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Bye Amelia, or see you tomorrow"

I stood still as he climbed out and down. Seconds after he left, his smell still lingered around my room.

"I don't know.." I slowly shut the window.

What am I saying? I was weeping about wanting to live my life 15 minutes ago, and when an opportunity knocks, I want to back down.

"Ah fuck it" I reached for my pink bag and opened it. I glanced outside and saw him under a streetlight, celebrating discreetly and released a chuckle.

Now, I just need to sort out my parents..

so excited for this omg, also go check out ChloeLouiseHales 's 'A Power World' trilogy because it is BOMB af