Chapter 14

Aaron POV

After talking with my mate, my father linked me that he needed to talk. Double checking that my angel felt safe with my mom, I headed over to the packhouse.

Walking down the hall, I head towards my father's main office on the first floor of the house. I give a quick rapt on the door before my father calls for me to enter.

"Aaron, how is your mate?" my father asks in concern as I walk to his desk and take a seat across from him.

I notice both Zach and Thatcher are in the room with their dad, James. A twinge of worry runs through my veins when I notice their morose expressions.

"She's doing alright," I tell them all, "What's wrong?"

"I deactivated the tracking device from angel's arm," Thatcher starts, "Luckily, the tech they were using seemed damaged so I don't think they were tracking an exact location."

"That's why we caught the hunters on the outside of the territory. We don't think they know where your mate is," James explains.

"Well that's good news," I release a breath I didn't even know I have been holding, "Do we have guards still tracking the hunter group?"

"Of course," dad smiles, "We won't be letting them out of our sights. Hopefully, they will lead us back to where the hunters scattered to after the lab burned down."

"Good. Then why do you all look like you're afraid to tell me something?" I ask.

"When I hacked into the device, I found more than just tracking data," Thatcher responds.

"Well, you got me on the edge of my seat," I sass, "Tell me."

"It held your mate's medical data," he answers.

I feel my body tense as I lean forward in my chair, "You can tell me what they did to her?"

"Yes," he states, "But I'm not sure if we should tell you, Aaron."

"What?!" I scream, my chair crashes to the floor as I rise to my feet, "She's my mate!"

"And she's our Luna!" Thatcher screams back, his face red as he tries to hold in his feelings over the issue.

A rumble rushes through the air as my wolf growls at Thatcher's insubordination. He drops his eyes immediately and moves his head to the side to bare his neck to me.

"I'm sorry, Alpha," he says quietly.

Accepting that he is no longer challenging us, I feel Kiba relax slightly in my mind. I give him a silent acceptance and he relaxes back near Zach.

I pick up my chair from the floor and retake my seat.

"What information did you find on the device?" I question.

"They were surgically experimenting on her," he keeps his voice even, although I can hear the anger in it.

My wolf pushes to be released, "What does that mean?"

"Son," my father's eyes hold pity as he speaks to me, "The doctors at the lab would perform surgery on her every couple of weeks. The notes say they were looking for how she could shift."

"They cut into her," my voice is low growl as Kiba starts to take over my mind.

"Yes," he answers. I can see there is more swimming in his eyes, and he knows I'm on the verge of exploding.

"What else?" I snap.

"She was awake during the surgeries," Thatcher says, "They kept her awake when they cut into her."

I roar in anger as Kiba pushes forward completely. I race out of the packhouse and shift as my wolf takes control of my body.

Mate. Must protect mate, Kiba repeats over and over as he races us towards home. We speed through the trees and make it to the backyard to see the door open.

My dad must have told my mom I was coming in wolf form. I leap over the steps on the porch and walk into the house. Moving through the first floor, I follow my mate's scent up the stairs and to our room.

Pushing the door open with my snout, I search the room until my eyes land on my angel curled up in our bed with a book in her hands. The red haze fades from my eyes as Kiba loosens the reins of his control.

Hearing the door creak from my entry, her eyes lift from the book and widen when she sees me standing there. Knowing I need to move slowly so I don't scare her, I walk silently towards her.

I can see her fear swirling in her chocolate eyes, but I also see confusion and curiosity in there too.

When I reach the edge of the bed, I lean my head down and lay it against the top of the mattress. She bites her bottom lip in worry as she raises her palm up to me.

Knowing I need to feel her touch, I meet her halfway and push my head into her hand. The warmth and electricity run through me as she runs her hand through my fur. When our eyes connect again, I see recognition shining back as she realizes who I am.

Kiba releases a soft whimper before he makes us jump onto the bed to be closer to our mate, Must protect mate. Hunters will not get near mate again.

Although I'm larger than nearly the entire bed in my wolf form, I curl my body halfway around my mate. With her pressed against my side, I place my head onto her lap.

She runs her fingers repeatedly through my fur as if she knows she needs to calm me down. Her soft touch relaxes my body and Kiba slowly gives back full control to me.

She leans forward and lands a gentle kiss on the top of my head before continuing her caresses.

We will keep mate safe, Kiba repeats. His anger over what we learned still there.

Yes, and we are going to hunt down every one of those doctors who thought they had the right to touch what is ours, I growl back.

I feel his agreement and I make a silent promise to my mate right then and there.

I will find who harmed her and I will kill them.