74

Closing my eyes, I inhaled.

There is no time to idle and remain in this situation. Constantly living my days in this home and seeing the same face everyday. The sudden surge of power flowed through my veins and remained on that dark wintery evening. When my hair shifted hues and my hands burned through the dirt.

Maybe I was a little dramatic. Maybe having my full powers back was a good thing and I just made it to be a big deal. I could use it for something important. Like protecting others.

December had already passed.

We were so far away from the city that we couldn't even see the remnants of fireworks. I spent New Year's Day, alone in my bedroom. I heard cheers from the living room and clinking glasses. The noise quieted and I fell asleep in the early night.

Just like that, I saw Xenophilius off and a new cycle began.

I would've been halfway through seventh year by now. While I existed, taking up space, the days grew colder and the chitters of animals completely vanished. The house is quieter now that Pandora got a job so I'm left alone.

She would come home exhausted and barely spoke to me. It wasn't a bad thing but I knew we grew apart with our own loneliness. I know she misses him and I can't really fill a void. The same goes for me.

I prompted to get employed as well. She declined, saying it was just a risk we couldn't take. Staying as an invisible citizen was more to our advantage anyways.

Left with my own devices, I spent my days journaling. Writing down anything or simply nonsense. I couldn't help but reminisce on the past. Especially when the present is so bleak and the future is so unbearably predictable.

"Oi! Mind moving your things out of the way?"

The annoyingly heavy British accent called to me. Which is saying something because I'm British as well...

I spent an awfully long time waiting at the station! The orphanage surely did not have to leave me here an hour before the train even came. But I must say, I was too excited for my first year to begin!

I'd just boarded the train and I have more trouble! Ought to put him back in his place. I whirled around, put my arms up, and blocked the entire hallway. My glare focused on the boy in front of me.

A long busy corridor awaited me. Many children my age lined up behind him, waiting for me to get a move on. So this is my fault... Well, since I can't seem ridiculous, I might as well carry on.

"What're you doing, mate? We're trying to get a compartment!" he complained.

"Sorry, my big bum just can't seem to move as quickly as I can! With a big bum like mine, you have to wait a few minutes!" I retort.

My nose upturned and I pressed my lips in a thin line. I crossed my arms over my chest and poshly allowed him to reply.

"Well, Miss Big Bum, get a move on if it'll take you that long," he responded with irritation.

"We've been waiting five minutes, can you please move?" a red head behind him input.

Opening one eye, I peeked at her. Her brows were furrowed and she actually seemed genuine. How rare! Her freckles sprinkled down her cheeks and over her collarbone, a faint blush over her nose. Someone got burned over the summer..

"Well since she asked, I will!" I hesitantly announced.

I turned myself around and stopped the wait up. I can't seem embarrassed or that would be just a horrible first impression. Quickly, I searched for a compartment so they can hopefully forget what my face looks like.

"Gosh, I hope I don't house with her, y'know?" the same boy from earlier said behind my back.

My eye twitched and I held back my tongue.

"Definitely a Gryffindor, look how dumb she is!" another boy replied.

Spinning on my heel, I threw my arms in the air. The robes smacked my face for a bit but my skin heat up and I sent them a sharp gaze.

"I know you're dumb but what am I?" I exclaimed.

The two boys in front of me stared in horror. Now they think I'm horrible! How am I going to deal with this for the rest of my seven years? This is humiliating.

From behind them, a boy in a tweed sweater states, "Dumb."

The two in front of me grinned and turned to give him a high-five. My rage rose and I dove in for a tackle.

Those days were really nice. It's hard to remember the genuine ones. When the years passed, my mentality darkened and I couldn't help it. The situations grew gruesome and life-threatening. I wish I could go back.

Which is where all of this leads to where I am now.

Zipping my jacket up and staring down the horizon in the Freedwill backyard.

Breathing in my last few breaths in my temporary prison... and taking new ones in the location I'll apparate to.

Destination.

Determination.

Deliberation.

With those last words, I felt myself sucked through a tube. My throat constricted and pressure all around gained on my body. I lost my hearing momentarily.

Then it all stopped.

Heavy atmosphere surrounded my being and my pupils slowly shifted upward. Great buildings silhouetted. The dark blue sky much more royal than the one back at home.

The castle, covered with thick snow, glowered ahead of me. My feet sunken in the courtyard and heart begging to race up the steps. Everything is so nostalgic. Memories replayed in my mind and happiness bubbled up.

The side of my mouth upturned and my brows lowered, satisfied with my success.

I did it, I made it to Hogwarts.

-lana