Chapter 9

I stare intently at Kerrie's as she explains Kayla's injuries.  Her face seems to be relaxed.  God why are you against me , I want to stay in this place .

" Kayla has had internal injuries . Fortunately for us , it has been stopped . Her spinal cord was a bit fractured due to you repeatedly pounding her back with a ... meat pounder ." Her face looks drained of colour , as if she's afraid of me now . Good .

" It was nothing serious , her skull is cracked . But it's not serious either . She has a few bruises on her face and stomach from being kicked and punched . So you'll be out here in no time ." She says in a peppy tone .

" Go and kill her ." I say , genuinely.

"What ?" She almost chokes on her spit . Her face whips up to look at me .

" I said go and kill her . I'll pay you." I say to her again .

"Cassandra , I cant do that . I- I,  you're in jail and you'll get more sentences  . Oh my God , No Cassie. " she says .

"Fine ." I huff .  I'm annoyed,  why won't  she just go and finish Kayla off .

" On the bright side . The word Coma didn't leave my lips ." She says .

" Hooray . Look I dont care ." I say in a bored voice.  Because I am . I'm fucking bored!

" Look now we have to work on what you're going to say on the stand , what you're pleading and which witnesses you are calling forth ." She says . I internally groan .

After spending hours on talking , she finally let's me go . 

"Let's go ."my warden says .

I nod at him , and then we go .

"What's your name ?" I ask him. 

"Peter , Peter Cooper ." He says .

" I like you Peter,  you're a good person ." I say . It's true , he is a good man .

"You're a good person too Cassandra . It's a shame you're in here . I know that you did what you did for a good reason ." He says . Then he lets me into the cell .

He closes the cell then nods at me . That's how we greet each other .

I fall asleep on the bench like structure.  Just waiting . You know , I heard stories about how bad this place could've been,  and in all honesty . I like it .

I've never had so much time to just listen to myself think . I dont hear anyone snoring .

Although the bench is pretty uncomfortable,  I know I'll be going to court soon and I'll be moved to a prison that will have good beds .

These are just shit . But I'm happy here . No Kayla , no Jason , no big business to drive me crazy . I'm literally living in this place rent free .

I wake up when I hear footsteps pass my cell .

" Hey , hey Peter ." I whisper -yell  .

He turns around and then walks to me . He's smiling , one of the most sincere smiles I've seen so far

"Do you need help?" He asks .

" uh no . What is that you're holding there ." I ask pointing to the object in his hand . His  smiles gets even bigger .

" A book . Wuthering heights." He says . Showing me the book .

"I didn't take you for the reading type nor the romance type. "  I say chuckling .

" Do you mind bringing me one of those when you're coming back for another round ?" I ask and then he nods .

" Sure ." Then he continues walking around the cells .

I put my head in my hands and then I fall asleep .

I've been in here so long that I dont know what day it is . How bright  or dark it is even what time it is .

This is euphoria.  No worries what so ever  . This is the life . I should have done this a long time ago, I've never felt so happy .

As crazy as it sounds . Momma exaggerated prison . I love this place .

Maybe I should ask Peter if I can come here for a vacation when I'm older.

The grey walls have become my safe space . This little bench has been my only friend in here . And Peter too .

This is more than I could have asked for . I dont know why people  are so resilient when they are supposed to come to this place .

Not everyone has lost their minds Cassandra.

Can you shut up,  my mind has been saying stupid things these past few days .

I dont know if I can still be considered sane   . But I feel pretty sane.

The court case starts in two weeks,  and I can't wait for it to be over and it ain't even started .

I never really thought my life  would turn out like this . You know .

I had dreams for myself , for Jason and I. There was a point in time that I actually saw us old . Chasing after our little grand babies . Him loving me and me doing the same to him .

Having wrinkles and still feeling timeless whenever we're together . Renewing our vows to each other when we're 60 and just loving and simply adoring everything about each other .

Vows . His vows to me .

Flashback

"... and I will love you forever . You'll be the first thought on my mind in the morning and the last at night . The person that inspires me to be the best . The love of my entire being . I swear to God that you'll be the only woman I will ever love like this .

I want to love you even when we're old . To tell our grandchildren about how when  you were younger you'd always sit in the library during recess . I want to build a family with you Cassandra Miller .

From this day forth , I promise to love and to hold you , in sickness and in health , for richer for poorer . Till death do us part . I love you Cassandra Smith." he ends it on a sweet note .

Then he kisses my cheek . My eyes are tearing up . My mouth is dry and my hand  is shaking while the ring is being slipped on my finger . He pecks my lips

End of flashback

Everything that he's promised me was never fulfilled . I feel so empty right now . I think I'm going to throw up.

Authors note .

Sorry again for the late update.  But what do you think . Do you think Cassandra has a mental problem? Comment down below .⬇️

I'd appreciate hearing your feedback . It matters most .🤲🥰

Vote , comment and recommend.

Nic275