Chapter 41

Chevel’s POV

Humans quickly filled the hall as the clock struck seven. There, standing on an elevated floor is Lilith who seated elegantly on the rococo chair soon after. Two huge bodied men covered in steel stood tall beside her.

“This is the official start of your training. Before we start, I’d like to introduce a newcomer. She only arrived yesterday so help her keep up for last week’s introduction.” One of Lilith’s henchmen said as he ushered me to stand in front of the crowd of humans.

I glanced towards Gyth who’s standing against the door of the hall we are currently in. He nodded towards me as I hesitantly walked in front. All eyes are on me as the humans are lined up in rows. The henchman scanned the place and after a short while, he extended his arm and pointed his finger. Eyes followed suit soon after to where the finger seems to be pointed.

“You with the red mane.” The henchman said and all eyes averted towards the only red-haired man in the crowd.

“Y-yes sir.” The man responded raising his hand.

“You’ll be in charge of filling her in for her unwanted absences last week.” The henchman notified him.

“Loud and clear, sir.” The man responded as his gaze averted to mine, locking our eyes for a moment.

“Go stand in line.” The henchman said, snapping us out and I proceeded to go at the end of the line.

Having Gyth in my sight really made me a lot less terrified of the situation I am in. Also, I feel safe having these humans around me.

“Hey..” A voice behind me whispered, startling me. From what I know, there wasn’t anyone standing behind me.

I turned my head to see the man in charge of me. He really has a catchy scarlet-colored hair and his eyes are painted brown. He’s quite taller than me and has a toned physique.

“I’m Vernon. Please to meet you.” He murmured.

“I’ll be in your care, my name’s Chevel.” I replied softly. I smiled and immediately turned my focus to the front, not wanting to catch any attention.

I glanced towards Gyth and his eyes are fixated on me. I don’t know if it’s just my vision getting poorer or he is in fact glaring towards my direction. I shook the thought off my mind as Lilith stood up from her seat.

“Boring and lousy introductions are over. This week, we’ll show you how things work in the underworld.” Lilith said sternly as she runs her gaze around the crowd.

“The rules.” She paused and strangely met with my eyes, startling me.

“And what happens when you disobey them.” She finished with a sinister grin sending chills down my spine.

“Today, you’re going to pair up. Go find me at the room next door when you find your partners.” Lilith ordered.

As soon as she’s out of sight, I panted nervously as if someone’s been chasing me. Tthe room instantly got filled with murmurs as the humans got paired up with the person next to them.

I looked around in hopes to find Emily but no luck. There are just too many people in my line of sight.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my back and as I turned around I found the man who talked to me earlier.

“Have you gotten a partner yet?” He asked and I shook my head.

“Should we partner up?” He hesitantly asked, scratching the back of his head. I looked around and found that almost everyone is paired up already.

“Sure.” I answered and we stood in line for the next room.

I drifted my gaze towards the door of the hall but Gyth is nowhere to be found. Soon enough, a guard, similar to the ones standing at the castle doors, closed the doors of the hall when everyone finally exited.

As soon as we got out the hall, I found Gyth leaning against the wall beside the room we were ordered to go. My eyes met his green ones that are watching mine intently. I can tell behind his stoic features that he is not in a good mood. I fought the urge to approach him since Lilith’s men are watching over us.

“It’s our turn.” Vernon said beside me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I smiled hesitantly as we entered the room.

All of a sudden, a noise came from the door. I turned around instantly when I heard the guard by the door talked.

“My apologies great sir, only humans can enter this room. You can wait outside the exit door.” The guard said and I saw Gyth peeking from outside. Our eyes met for a split second before the guard entirely closed the door.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I saw Lilith sitting at the corner of the room with a human standing beside her.

“For today, you’re just going to sit and watch.” Lilith said and her henchmen sat us on the chair.

Her eyes met mine for a moment before she stood up and approached the man. The man immediately raised his arms in the air as soon as Lilith is in front of him.

I watched in utter confusion as to what’s about to happen when the rope hanging from the ceiling suddenly caught my attention. The next thing I saw is Lilith tying the man’s wrist up in the air.

I clasped my hands tightly as I suddenly felt the anxiousness oozing from my veins. I glanced towards Vernon and noticed his legs fidgeting vigorously. He must’ve also felt that something bad is up.

Lilith turned to look at me with a sinister smile resting upon her crimson lips, making me flinch in my seat before she pulled out a whip behind her. She handed the whip to one of her henchmen and turned to walk back to her seat.

“My henchman here is a high-ranking hybrid demon and he’ll show you what mostly happen when you practice disobedience.” Lilith said as she rested her chin against her fist and focused her eyes on us.