The Divine Move

Nobody had spoken a word.

We were all stunned to silence.

It still didn't feel real.

I closed my eyes, trying to shake the memory from me.

"Miss Hale?"

I looked up at the young deputy who smiled sadly at me.

Lydia squeezed my hand supportively and I took a deep breath and followed the deputy into the room.

"How do you recall the event?" He asked me.

"We were meeting up. I was in the c-car with Scott, Isaac and S-stiles. We-we got out to meet Allison, Kira and Lydia" I took a deep breath, trying to remember the story Argent had told us. "It was dark. I-I don't remember much. They just appeared. It-it happened so fast" My eyes started to burn up with tears as the memory of what really happened started to play in my head.

"What did they look like?"

"T-they wore black. I, uh, couldn't see them very well"

"What happened next?"

"They were trying to take the car. We refused and we tried to walk away b-but I saw something-something sharp"

"A knife?" Deputy Parrish prompted.

I nodded slowly. "I think-I'm not sure. It happened so fast"

I felt a tear roll down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.

"Do you remember anything else"

"I-uh" my hands shook. "I can't" I took another deep breath.

"Shay?"

"I'm sorry" I whispered.

Mr Stilinski, who had been sat beside me, placed a hand on my shoulder.

"It happened so fast" I mumbled.

"I think that's enough for now, Parrish" Sheriff Stilinski said to the deputy who nodded and gave me another supportive smile.

Stiles' father lead me out of the room again where Isaac, Scott and Lydia were waiting.

I fell straight into Lydia's arms as a small cry escaped my lips again.

I can't believe she's really gone.

~

"Stiles and Kira said it was the Nemeton that kept the trap" Scott told Deaton as we walked into the animal clinic.

"The problem is this isn't even a person you're fighting. It just looks like one. It's a spirit that's taken the shape of a human" Deaton explained.

"The shape of my best friend" Scott said.

"Someone caught it once. Someone can do it again, right" Lydia said.

"I don't know. This thing was trapped a long time ago. Before the Nemeton was cut down. It doesn't have the same power anymore"

"Is there anything that does?" I asked.

"Possibly" Deaton said. "When the tree was whole, it's wood was sometimes used to contain powerful objects. But those objects are very rare"

"Wait a second. Powerful objects?" Lydia said. "Like an alpha's claws?" She looked at me and I suddenly realised what she was hinting at.

"Which alpha?" Deaton questioned.

I sighed. "My mother"

"Peter had them in this wooden box with a triskele carved in the lid" Lydia continued to explain. "What if it was made from the Nemeton?"