26. back home?

My eyes were focused on the scenery that slowly faded away as we sped down the snowy road. 

I sat in the back of the truck with Emori and Murphy, reluctantly deciding that Clarke and Bellamy needed time to talk. The tensions between all of us were too high for us to work together effectively at this point. 

I numbly listened as Emori reminisced on what it felt like to be safe, to have a home. Her and Murphy would never get picked to live in that bunker, and I couldn't help but feel like that was my fault.

"Your home is with me." Murphy mumbled to her, shifting so they could place their heads together. 

I looked over at them, trying to fight the feeling of claustrophobia the suit and helmet was forcing on me. 

"I'm sorry." I announced, my voice defeated. 

Murphy looked over at me in confusion. "Collins, what the hell are you talking about?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Bellamy opened that door for Octavia and me. If he hadn't then you guys would have been safe...it's my fault."

I had been so upset with Clarke for what she had done, but was she really wrong? If I had the choice of saving all of our people even if it meant a few of my friends would die, would I take it?

I hoped that my answer would be to save my friends at all costs possible, but did I really know that for sure?

"It's not your fault, Avery." Emori assured. "You should have been in that bunker when the doors were locked."

I held her gaze for a moment before nodding. There was no point in taking this discussion any further. What was done was done.

Even if I wanted to keep the discussion going, it would have been quickly interrupted. 

Seemingly out of no where, the truck swerved, veering off the road and slamming into something. 

Murphy, Emori and I were sent flying around in the back, my head smacking off the wall behind me. 

I groaned, my vision blurring over for a moment as the truck came to a halt. 

"You okay, Collins?" Murphy asked after ensuring Emori was unscathed. 

I nodded, wincing slightly as I shifted around to try and see what had happened. "I'm good." I assured. "What about you guys?"

"Yeah, we're good." Emori confirmed. "What the hell happened?"

I shook my head, my brows furrowed in confusion. "I don't--"

"--Look out!" Murphy yelled, pulling me away from the entrance. I let out a shocked gasp at the sight of at least half a dozen Grounders rushing toward us.

"Stay behind me!" he ordered, shoving both Emori and I to the back of the truck as he jumped forward, trying to kick off the men who had latched onto the tailgate.

I ignored him, rushing to his side and sending my foot into the face of the closest attacker, trying to drive them away.

Unfortunately, there were too many of them for us, and they overpowered us easily.