IX. WORRY & CONFUSION

EPISODE 3: ART OF THE SWOONCHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9. WORRY AND CONFUSION

 WORRY AND CONFUSION

I watch as Daphne dances with the Prince. It was obvious she was trying to get back at the Duke for ending the ruse, without any explanation.

I sigh, and turn to come face to face with Mister Barnes.

"Mister Barnes." I greet with a small smile.

"Can I have a word in private, Miss Bridgerton?" He asks, a frown on his face.

"I will need to ask Mama." I tell him, looking around for her.

"This is very urgent, Miss Bridgerton, I believe I need to talk to you now." He tell me, and I nod, following him out the hall.

"What did you want to talk about, Mister Barnes?" I ask him, as we walk on the outskirts of the garden.

"I am leaving London." He tells me, and I look at him surprised. "Tonight."

"What?" I ask, shocked. "I-I do not understand—"

"Do not worry, I will return shortly." He assures me. "In a matter of days, in fact. But it is not that, what worries me."

"Then, what does worry you?" I ask, as he looks away form me, and down on the ground.

"It is what you will find out when I return." He answers.

"Whatever do you mean, Mister Barnes?" I ask him, utterly confused.

"You will know what I mean soon enough." He replies, and I furrow my eyebrows. "Just know, that I did not wish you any hurt, and that I truly am sorry for everything.

"I do not know what you speak of, Mister Barnes." I tell him.

He slowly steps forward, and holds my hands. He gives me a small sad smile, but I still had the confused look on my face. I close my eyes, as he leans forward, leaving a soft kiss to my forehead. My eyes remain closed, as he speaks softly.

"I truly hope you will be able to forgive me." He tells me, slowly pulling his hands away.

As I slowly open my eyes, I, once again, find myself alone.

Could it be true? The season's diamond even more precious and rare a stone than previously thought? For it now appears this treasure is set to join the likes of the queen's ever-so-cherished crown jewels themselves.

The Duke of Hastings, I hear, was left looking rather tongue-tied last night, as Miss Bridgerton seems to have finally grown tired of waiting for him to pose that all-important question. Or, perhaps, the young miss has simply traded up. Surprising? Quite. Unreasonable? Of course not. After all, why settle for a Duke when one can have a Prince?

Miss Diana Bridgerton was spotted reentering the party, alone. It seems like Mister Barnes has finally vanished to, where he came form, leaving no trace at all, all over again. But one thing seems crystal clear, Miss Diana will need to look for other suitors.